Eight: Little Eddy

Brett's car arrived in front of Eddy's house.

"Thank you for the lift, Brett.  And thank you for everything."

It was what Eddy usually said to Brett before he got out of the car.

"You're welcome, Eddy.  Good night."

This was when Eddy usually got out of Brett's car.

"Um.."

"Yes, Eddy?"

"..Are you going to be okay?"

Brett smiled.

'Yeah, I'll be okay.  Thank you, Eddy, for everything.  What about you? Are you going to be okay..?"

"Um... I'm a bit.. confused."

"That's okay.  We'll talk when you feel like it."

"What about you Brett?  Are you ever confused ?"

Brett smiled.

"All the time Eddy."

"Damn.  I was hoping at least you had all this worked out."

"Why would you think I'd have all the answers ?"

Eddy shrugged.

"Hmm, I dunno.  I guess you're a whole lot older and wiser than I am?"

Brett smiled.

"For what it's worth, I didn't dislike what happened between us.  But you've got some games to focus on, yeah?"

Eddy's face changed to that of someone who had just gained clarity.

"Yes.  Yes, I do. Yeah, I'm going to focus on that and make you proud.  Thank you, Brett and good night."

And with that, Eddy got out of Brett's car.

"Congratulations Eddy!"

Eddy never thought there would come a day when his family would wholeheartedly congratulate him on his achievements.  For starters, he felt he had not achieved anything in the past.  When Eddy returned from Taiwan to his parents' house, he regarded it as a place to eat and sleep.  He was grateful of having a nice place to stay and he had developed enough maturity to be civil to the people he shared the house with, but he never thought he could re-establish a relationship with them.  When that was proven wrong, he was extremely happy about it.  And he knew it was all thanks to the man who sat next to him at his family dining table, his agent, Brett.

"So, I am proud to announce that Eddy played really well at all his pre-season games and was drafted by almost every team we were interested in.  We got to pick a team that we believed suited him the best.  Eddy is now a state-leaguer, a semi-professional football player..!!"

"Thanks, everyone.  I'm so happy that I get to celebrate this occasion with you all... I'm so grateful that you have all been so supportive of my dreams."

"I'm really happy that you are able to pursue your dreams, Eddy.  I'm so proud of my son."

"Really, mum?"

"Of course  I am.  This is something that you are good at that makes you happy.  Working hard for your dreams has made you a better person. You are lucky you get to celebrate it.  We have so much to thank Brett for."

"Yes, we do.  Thank you so much, Brett."

"Yaaaay, Brett!"

"Thanks, Eddy, thanks, Belle.  And thank you for inviting me to celebrate with you."

"Of course, you're the guest of honour, Brett."

"Thank you.  I'm certainly honoured."

"So.. how did Eddy's football career start ?"

"How ? By making me a very strong woman"

Brett raised an eyebrow.

"...Mrs Chen?"

"Mum...?"

"Belle, are you okay? Why are you ringing me at work?"

"Mum.. I can't find Eddy."

"What do you mean?  Did he come home from school?"

"Yes. And we shared a snack but then I got busy practising piano and I just noticed he's not at home anymore."

"Go and check the high school. Take the mobile phone with you, call me as soon as you find him."

"The high school?"

"Yes, I remember Eddy saying some big kids were playing soccer there."

"But mum, it's like 20 mins walk from here. Even longer for Eddy."

"I know, but that boy seemed pretty determined when he said he wanted to go and watch.  Please go check there first."

"Okay mum, I'll call you as soon as I find out something."

"Mum..?"

"Belle!! Did you find him?"

"Yes.. you were right. But..."

"What's wrong?"

".. I couldn't bring him home."

"Why not ?"

"I told him he could get into big trouble, but he said he didn't want to come home."

"Is he upset about something ?"

"Well, he's upset that I tried to take him home.  He's really strong for a 4 year old.  He's clinging onto the fence."

"Okay, I'll stopover on my way home, thank you for looking for him, Belle."

"...this is why I am such a strong woman.  I had to peel my son off the high school fence and carry him home every day during the soccer season."

Brett was laughing, coughing and wheezing into his napkin, trying not to choke on the wine and food.

"Oh come on Mum, you said it was only a few times. I was only 4 and a half!!"

"You weren't all limp and in surrender when I peeled you off either.  You were like a giant fish I caught at sea, kicking and wriggling about."

Brett laughed out loud.

"Would've loved to have seen that. Been a football junkie since, hey? And we now know where you get your core stability from, Eddy."

Eddy blushed.

A/N:  Thank you for reading my stories.  Your votes, comments and adding me to your booklists all mean so much to me.  This was the second last episode of this book.  The next chapter would be the last.