Six: Industrial secret

"Oh just shut your trap you f*cking  ******"

The racist, derogatory words made Brett see red and snap. He went into autopilot – and he wound up his fist ready to strike the young man who was now running towards him.

"Brett, NO!"

Eddy cut in between Brett and the young man was now held back by his teammate and his very irate coach. The umpire yelled out that the Federation would not tolerate such use of language and that their team may have now copped a fine and a short suspension for the seasonal games. The umpire also terminated the current game and told the offending team that they have been suspended to play their next pre-season game.

On their drive home after the game, Brett and Eddy remained silent for a good 10 minutes before Brett finally broke the silence.

"Eddy, I am sorry I lost my cool. It was so unprofessional of me, I hate it. I know I lose if I react but I never get used to it."

Eddy gave a sigh of relief. He hated the silence and was so glad Brett was talking again.

"It's okay... I think we have to stand up to these guys."

"True.. but I shouldn't have threatened to strike him."

"You know, a part of me so wanted you to punch that guy's lights out, Brett... but I don't think it would've worked in our favour had you done so. I'm glad we didn't cost our team a suspension. But thank you for standing up for me, I really appreciate it."

"You're welcome. ....Geez."

Brett ran his hands through his hair.

"What is it? "

"I don't remember it as me standing up for you. It was more like you coming to my rescue. Thank you, Eddy."

"No probs Brett. I'm just glad no one was seriously hurt."

"Yeah.... So you're okay? Those guys played pretty rough."

"Nothing I can't handle Brett. I'm okay."

They stopped at a quiet traffic light. Brett suddenly clutched onto the steering wheel till his knuckles went white.

"Brett?"

"Sh*t..."

"What is it ? Are you okay?"

"Sorry Eddy, I think I'd better park the car after this traffic light."

"Yeah, of course, sure."

As soon as Brett parked the car on the side of the road, he stepped out of the car, gasping for air.

Eddy worryingly stepped out of the car, too.

"Hey, are you ok??"

"Yeah, it must be the aftermath of the adrenalin rush or something."

Eddy thought it looked more like an onset of a panic attack but decided to keep his mouth shut.

He stood next to Brett who was leaning against his car. Eddy then placed his palm on Brett's back. Brett flinched but did not move away. Brett was looking down at his shaking hands. He flipped the hand closer to Eddy to show his palm. He clenched it into a fist. Eddy placed his other hand on top of the fist. Brett slowly opened his hand and let his fingers interlace with Eddy's.

"That stuff that happened today, it must have triggered me after all these years. I copped a lot of that flak when I used to play. It was the pits fighting alone."

"Hey.. it's okay.."

Brett raised his other hand to cover his eyes.

"Yeah, I know.. Look, I'm okay.. I know I'm actually okay... I'm just really moved by thinking about how you cut in for me. Thank you Eddy. I'm really, really grateful."