Seven: The awkward squat

Eddy felt Brett hugging him back.

"Eddy, you're way too smart for a football junkie. Please, please don't tell anyone or else you'll send me out of business."

_____________________________________

Eddy smiled into Brett's shoulders.

"I don't think so. Other agents couldn't do what you did for us even if they tried. But now I understand why you are the best and the worst... and I respect you so much for it."

Brett pulled back a little and buried his head into Eddy's chest as he shook his head.

"Eddy, that's... so sweet of you, thank you.. But you're giving me way too much credit."

Eddy still had his arms around Brett. He gently rested his chin on Brett's head.

"I don't think so, Brett."

Brett slowly let go of Eddy as he pulled away a bit further and covered his face with his hands, sliding his fingers underneath the frame of his glasses to wipe away his tears with his fingertips.

"Agh, geez. Dunno what's with the waterworks today."

In Eddy's eyes, Brett looked so vulnerable and adorable.

Eddy was feeling overwhelmed with emotion, the feeling of admiration towards Brett about his professional integrity, a yearning to earn Brett's respect in a similar way that he respected Brett and a longing to express his feelings – so that Brett knows that he... He, what? It was weird because Brett had been the older wiser one who took care of Eddy, why was he suddenly feeling the urge to protect him? It must be because this was the first time Eddy saw Brett hurt from old scars that still hurt him to this day. He wished he could do something to ease his pain, or at least show him that he cared about him.

Eddy pulled back his arms and rested them on Brett's shoulders. Brett still had his hands to his face but Eddy's movements made Brett stop wiping his tears and look up towards Eddy.

Eddy bent his knees slightly so that his height was slightly lower than Brett. From this awkward position, Eddy moved his face upwards towards Brett's, clumsily trying to find a pathway through Brett's hands, seeking his lips with his own. Startled, Brett caught Eddy's cheeks with his hands. Eddy froze as if he was in the middle of a stop motion film. It was far from a romantic picture. Their silhouette looked as if Eddy was positioning himself to head butt Brett.

Eddy wished the ground would just open up and swallow him whole. He closed his eyes and let out a groan.

"Brett, I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"I feel so stupid. I dunno what I'm doing."

"No, I'm sorry I caught your face.. I should've let things just happen. I would really like it if you finished what you started..."

Eddy looked up towards Brett and gave an awkward smile as he shook his head.

"I can't."

"Really? That's a real shame."

"It is?"

"Yeah.. maybe you could start again then?"

Eddy was still wishing the ground would swallow him whole.

Brett bent his knees so that his face was level to Eddy's. Neither of them had to be bending their knees at this point in time, their posture was ridiculous but neither of them seemed to have noticed.

Brett spoke up.

"Hey, or.. maybe I could continue..?"

Eddy shook his head. He didn't want that. This was something he initiated, to show Brett that he cared.

Eddy's legs were starting to shake. It wouldn't have been that bad if it was any other day but they just came back from a football game and his legs were fatigued. He leaned forward and managed to plant his lips on Brett's but it wasn't a gentle movement as his legs gave way at the same time, making him plough into Brett, causing Brett to topple backwards.

Eddy quickly slid his body underneath Brett's so that Brett landed on him with a thud.

There they lied down on the side of the dusty bitumen road on top of each other.

"OMG Eddy are you okay?"

Eddy face palmed himself and covered his eyes.

"...OMG I can't believe this..."

"What?"

"Not a shred of suaveness..."

Brett chuckled.

"True, but I've never been kissed like that, ever. It's certainly made it special."

"OMG.. I dunno what's happening to me."

"Eddy, for what it's worth, I feel that you care about me and you're really sweet. Thanks."

"Do you think that's all there is to it?"

"..Well, I dunno. After all, I'm not you.. And we've both been pretty shaken up today, y'know.  So you might need some time to figure out your answer, but that's okay. Here."

Brett got up and gave his hand to Eddy to help him up. He gently patted Eddy down to rid the dust he was covered in.

"Brett, I'm not sure what to think about all this stuff."

"It's okay, sleep on it. Take your time. Let me know when you want to talk, okay?"

"..Okay.."

"I think we've both been on quite an emotional roller-coaster today. Let's go home."