Chapter 15 : Saving Thorin, Fili And Kili

Start of recap...

Thorin and Co. are still fighting in the ruins across the frozen river from Azog’s stronghold.

Having defeated all the enemies at present, they look out across the river at the ruins in which Azog was last seen; his wooden signalling machines are visible through the mist.

[Thorin:] “Where is he?”

[Kili:] “Looks empty. I think Azog has fled!”

[Thorin:] “I don’t think so...Fili, take your brother. Scout out the towers. Keep low and out of sight. If you see something; report back, do not engage - do you understand?!”

[Dwalin:] “We have company; Goblin mercenaries. No more than a hundred.”

They look back the way they came to see goblins running over the ruins toward them.

[Thorin:] “We’ll take care of them. Go! Go!”

[Dwalin:] “Come on!”

As Fili and Kili run towards the river, Thorin and Dwalin prepare to meet the goblins rushing toward them

End of recap...

Third person pov...

In a moment of peace, Thranduil walks slowly through the city, seeing the fallen bodies on the ground, many of which are his own elves.

His commander comes running up.

[Thranduil:] “Recall your company.”

The commander blows a horn. Gandalf comes running up.

[Gandalf:] “My lord, dispatch this force to Ravenhill! The dwarves are about to be overrun. Thorin must be warned.”

[Thranduil:] “By all means, warn him. I have spent enough Elvish blood in defense of this accursed land - No more!”

Thranduil walks away haughtily and angrily.

[Gandalf:] “Thranduil?!”

[Bilbo:] “I’ll go!”

[Gandalf:] “Don’t be ridiculous! You’ll never make it!”

[Bilbo:] “Why not?”

[Gandalf:] “Cause they will see you coming and kill you!”

[Bilbo:] “No, they won’t.”

Gandalf looks at Bilbo peculiarly.

[Bilbo:] “They won’t see me.”

[Gandalf:] “It’s out of the question - I won’t allow it!”

[Bilbo:] “I’m not asking you to allow it, Gandalf.”

Gandalf says nothing; they nod to each other, then Bilbo strides away. Turning a corner, he presses into an alcove and pulls out his ring.