38 (part two);

friday, 29th july, 2016

before either of them could process the feelings that were rising during the embrace, casey shuffled backwards, placing her hands on either side of ross's face.

she looked into his eyes and whispered gently, "hey, what's going on?"

ross tried to swallow the lump in his throat, but couldn't. with a small shake of his head, the only thing that managed to escape was a small sob and tears that flowed freely. casey easily caught them with her thumbs, wiping them away softly. ross couldn't bear to look at the woman he loved, afraid of her leaving. he wanted her to stay forever.

for the rest of his life.

casey let out a small sigh, her heartbreaking for the boy she loved terribly and placed a chaste kiss on his cheek. she then grabbed his hand to lead him to the couch on the other side of the room. ross sat stoic, staring at his feet. casey was sat facing him, wanting so desperately for ross to share what he was feeling.

she stroked his cheek with her thumb, "come on rossy, i wanna know what you're thinking." she whispered gently, with a small, sad smile.

ross took a deep breath and turned to lock eyes with casey. "i don't know what to say." he whispered shakily.

"then express it the best way you know how," casey replied, knowing him better than anyone ever could.

she spotted his guitar perched next to the tv stand and walked over to grab it. she gently placed it on ross's lap, mentally urging him to pick it up and reveal his feelings. by some sort of luck, he did. he aimlessly strummed for a few seconds before the familiar tune of ed sheeran's dive filled the apartment.

the world around both of them stood still as ross sang the song that laid everything for him out on the table. nothing else mattered except the two of them sharing this intimate moment. to others, a song may seem cheesy but for these two, it is the only way they properly know how to express themselves.

by the time ross had strum the final notes, casey's tears were freely falling. now it was ross's turn to wipe them away, cradling her face in his hands. he swiped them away as they fell, leaving small pecks where they stained her face. casey's eyes fluttered close at the feeling of his lips caressing her face. she pulled away slightly to meet ross's eyes and then timidly whispered, "did you really mean that?"

ross nodded his head shyly, "every single word." he replied softly.

casey took a small sigh of relief and smiled gently, eyes downcast.

before her head could tell her no, she followed her heart that was screaming yes! and gently leant forward to connect her lips with ross'. it was a soft, intimate kiss, all their emotions pouring into it.

for the second time, the world around them stood still, nothing else mattering apart from the two of them entwined in this loving embrace.

ross was the first to break the kiss, wanting to verbalise the feelings that threatened to overwhelm him.

"i love you so much, casey. nothing else matters more to me than making you happy, making you feel loved every day, cherishing you the way you deserve to be. if you'll let me, that is."

"ross, i love you. it snuck up on me so quickly that i didn't know what to do. but now i do. i want to be by your side through everything. the ups, the downs, the in-betweens. every single thing. i don't want to be without you anymore, i want to be yours and for you to be mine."

"i'm yours, i have been from the moment we met. there's no getting rid of me now that i have you, baby."

"good, i don't want it any other way."

they both laughed at casey's comment and fell into a comfortable silence, entangled in each other on ross's couch, not wanting to be anywhere else in the world.