04. Family Dinner

I stepped out of the steamy shower and wrapped a white cotton towel around me. I grabbed another one and wrapped it around my wet brown locks. After dropping my clothes into the dirty laundry bin, I walked back into my room only to jump back in surprise.

"What the hell Adrian?" I asked as my hand dropped from my rapidly beating heart.

"I apologize, I did not mean to startle you," He said as he stood up from my bed. The action caused me to notice the two white boxes that laid on the bed.

     "What are you doing?" I asked as my attention returned to Adrian, but his was now focused on my exposed skin. "I asked you a question."

Adrian focused back on me. "I came to personally give you these," he said as he placed his hand on the boxes.

"May I ask what is in those boxes?" I questioned to which Adrian nodded.

"A gown and a pair of heels that I had brought for you from Scarlett's Boutique." Adrian answered.

"You do remember we are trying to make your parents think I am not like the girls you date, right?" I asked to which Adrian nodded. "Well, me wearing expensive clothes is not going to help our cause."

     "Yes, but we also have to leave my parents with a good impression of you." Adrian answered. "Plus, the clothes a person dresses is in does not define them."

     "You know you are kinda contradicting yourself there," I pointed out which caused Adrian to roll his eyes. It had been the first I seen this non-calm and annoyed side of him and I found it kind of funny.

     Adrian sighed. "Please, just wear the garments," he said and I rolled my eyes but nodded nonetheless.

     "May I have some privacy?" I asked and Adrian took that as his cue to leave. Once I heard the clicking of the doors closing, I let my towel drop to the floor. I opened the box and found a beautiful pink cocktail dress. I took it out and stared at it in awe.

"Jane please be—" Adrian's sentence was cut short by my screaming. I used the dress to cover myself while Adrian covered his eyes with his palm. "I'm sorry."

"Get out!" I exclaimed as I threw the pillows that laid next to me.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He chanted as he exited my bedroom.

With flushed cheeks I walked over to the doors and locked them. I quickly moisturized and slipped on the dress. I took out the nude heels in the other box and slipped them on as well. Hastily, I did my makeup and hair before heading downstairs were Adrian was already awaiting.

     "I apologize for earlier," Adrian said and I felt my cheeks hit up at the memory.

     "Can we just forget about it, please?" I asked to which Adrian nodded. Adrian rested his hand on my lower back and led us out the door.

"Good evening Mr. McKeller and Ms. Hamilton," the chauffeur greeted as we approached the awaiting limousine.

"Good evening Charles." Adrian stated. Charles opened the door for us to enter.

     "Thank you." I said with a grateful smile. I entered the automobile first, then Adrian followed me. The door closed and Charles walked over to the passenger seat.

     "My parents, in particular my Mother will ask how we met." Adrian said. "We will tell them that I was a daily customer at the diner you worked at, you spilled coffee on me and offered to repay me. I then, said you could repay me with a date and you agreed."

     I retold the story inside my head to try and remember it. "What if they ask us how long we've been dating for?" I asked.

    "Five months," Adrian said and I tensed. Little did he know that about five months ago was the day I broke up with a certain millionaire.