Chapter 14: Thoughts of wolves

Wabi-sabi (n.): The discovery of beauty within the imperfections of life and art

(This is what the wolves think about Ophelia and is also a slight continuation of the last chapter)

Sam's POV

I was mad at Jacob for interfering with Bella's wedding. She doesn't concern us anymore, she made her choice and that was that. What really made me mad that day was when Jacob told Ophelia to shut up, if there's one thing you don't do, ever, is yell at her. She backed up when he said that, she was scared. Jacob, what did you do?...

Jacob got an earful from me. A couple days after that I called Ophelia to check if she was doing okay. From the years I've known her, she hates conflict. Suprisingly, she was fine, all was forgetten. He finally had the guts to apologise to her. Ophelia is the most sweetest human being you can meet. She would always babysit us and that was the best time of our lives. We were all upset when she had to leave for the UK but we couldn't keep her from achieving her dreams, not after all she's done for us. She helped me with Leah and Emily.

I panicked when she found out about the supernatural, worried it will be much for for. The people she's known her whole life can turn into wolves and her sister's boyfriend is a vampire. She handled it well in the end. She says nothing can change the way she feels about us, we are her brothers. She is our sister.

Today I got a call from an unknown number. It was Èmile, her leech friend and ballet partner. When I answered he sounded worried and anxious, you could practically smell it. I didn't know why he called me until I found out that Ophelia is sick, very sick. I didn't need to be told twice, I phased and ran to Cullen's house. I told the rest the wolves what had happened, they wanted to come also but I said no, one wolf is enough.

I greeted Carlisle, he was one of the vampires I could at least stand. He knew I came to see Ophelia and led me to her. I passed all other vampires in the house, maintaining my distance. I was confused to see Edward and Bella, weren't they still on their honeymoon? Something was off, really off. Carlisle brought me to a room with a lot of medical equipment, was she that sick?

I saw her laying in bed, "Phee?", I say.

Her head picked up and god, she looked so different. Her cheeks were much more hollow than before.

"Sam, you're here", she barely said. I held my breathe when she stood up. She looked thin, unhealthily thin. I went in to hug her, seeing her in a condition like this broke my heart. I was careful not to hurt her.

"It's good to see you Sam", she let go and sat on the edge of the bed and I followed.

"You look...", I didn't want to say it.

"Terrible? Yeah", she laughed.

"That's not what I was saying-"

"Hey, don't sweat it. I'm fine, it's just that I look horrible"

She seem to be any sort of pain. "What happened?", I asked her.

She sighed and started to tell me everything...

After hearing what happened, I could understand why Èmile sounded so worried.

"My god Ophelia". She smiled sadly. I was thankful to Cullens for taking care of her.

"I'm fine now, it was just scary", said, "Did you tell them?". I nodded. "They must worried sick, I'll see if I can come past tomorrow".

"No, you need to rest Phee", I rejected. She chuckled half heartily, "I don't. I was knocked out for a good couple of hours, I'm fine". She was so stubborn at times...

Paul's POV

Sam told us that Ophelia was sick. What did those leeches do to her?! I'm gonna rip their heads off.