(6) Unruly

The Chesapeake case is still ongoing. You persuaded Spencer to take off until today. He went home Monday evening, assuring you to check in. It's Wednesday and you need to think about something else than the case. The unsub is putting people in cages, leaving them with a small supply of oxygen, letting them stay conscious under water for a few hours before they inevitably drown.

You sigh and open the bucket of paint you bought. Having someone staying over, made you realize how sparse your apartment looks. You ordered posters to hang up in the living room and are currently painting the bathroom lavender. Hotchner chided you for swimming out in the ocean like you did, but you defended yourself with a thankful Polly next to you, forcing him to give up lecturing quickly. You roll your eyes at the memory.

You're exhausted, but you need to do something with your hands. The weekend with Spencer was mentally draining, and the case took a toll on your physical health. Cursing, you pick up the brush and go to work.

- - - - - - - - - -

You wait in front of the café to pick up Spencer. He stubbornly insists on paying for your food and drink as often as he can. It's sweet and you cannot help yourself but stupidly grin to yourself whenever he brings you anything.

He gets in the car and hands you your coffee. Even though he talked to Garcia every day, against your suggestion, you fill him in on the details of the case. It's warm outside today. You, however, wear something that covers your arms to your wrists. Spencer notices but doesn't say anything.

"Welcome back, Pretty Boy!" Morgan enthusiastically greets him. Spencer gives him his signature tight lipped smile and walks to his desk. Hotchner comes out of his cave and comes over. "Are you up to speed?" He looks at Spencer. Wow. That's a way to welcome someone back. But Spencer doesn't mind, without changing his facial expression, he informs Hotchner: "Byrne filled me in."

Rossi joins you: "The victim Byrne pulled out of the ocean is released from the hospital today and can come in for questioning."

"Polly." You interrupt before he can elaborate. "Her name is Polly Jean."

Hotchner looks at you like you interrupted him and not Rossi. Out of the corner of your eye you see Reid's lips twitch. "Right." Rossi continues. "Miss Jean will come in for questioning later."

"JJ and Reid, I want you to talk to her." Hotchner orders. You raise your eyebrow: "Shouldn't I talk to her? She already knows me." He turns to you: "No."

"That's it? No?" Your shoulders stiffen and you raise your chin, showing your throat in protest. Hotchner's eyes furrow: "Agent Byrne, as far as I remember, I'm your supervisor. So, do as I say and observe the interview with our suspect."

Your lips tighten, but you don't say anything. "Morgan and I will interview Bryan Keller. He is the only suspect that fits the profile."

You're fuming. It makes no sense that he benches you like that. Is this his way of punishing you for saving someone? As soon as Hotchner turns his back to you, you get up and kick your chair on the way to the bathroom.

- - - - - - - - - -

"You okay?" Reid asks. He apparently waited for you outside the bathroom. Its sweet but also a little creepy. "No." You answer, making eye-contact for just a second. It sounded unfriendlier than you intended to: "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you."

Spencer touches your upper arm for a moment: "I understand."

You give him a smile and nod towards the interrogation room: "Go on."