Roller Coaster Ride

You can't tell why it leads you to the bar. It smells terribly and it is full of already drunk people, but you still grab something to drink and take a seat in the darkest corner you can find. The music is so loud it almost hurts your ears and the bass causes your whole body to vibrate, and together with the piercing lights of the spotlights it creates an atmosphere that might even help you to get over your tempestuousness. It helps you to suppress the thoughts that make you cry, and the alcohol does its part too.

Whatever you drink tastes gross but at least its strong, and whenever someone approaches you asking for a dance or something else, you manage to stare at them with such vicious eyes that they soon leave you in peace.

You feel so stupid. What have you expected at all? That Chishiya would be the sweet and romantic boyfriend now, greeting you with hugs and kisses and carrying you in his arms wherever you want to go?

It is still Chishiya in the end, and you obviously disturbed him in something he wants to keep secret. But Kuina brought you there in the first place, so she expected him to let you in on their plan, didn't she? Why couldn't he have at least said something nice to you before acting like this? Something like "glad you're okay", or "thank you for risking your life yesterday"? Or at least, well – "good morning"?

While your body is still shaken with sobs, you lean your forehead against the cold rim of the bottle. How are you ever supposed to have your happy ending in this cruel story of the Borderlands, if every victory you achieve only leads you to a down phase like this?

The roller coaster ride continues, and you've definitely had enough of it. You want to hop out of the wagon and continue your stroll through the park, but right now it's either being alone or continuing this heartbreaking journey together with Chishiya.

Someone sits down next to you, and you prepare yourself to say something mean so they will leave. But just as you open your mouth, you recognize someone familiar and pause.

"You're stupid. I really like you, but you're stupid."

Without taking your head off the bottle, your eyes turn towards Kuina and you answer her with a pout. Somehow that woman always manages to get to you in your worst moments, but you're not sure if that is what you wanted to hear from her.

You both have to talk quite loud because the music around you would be too noisy otherwise. "You're a mean angel. Did Chishiya send you to calm me down?"

"I don't need Chishiya to care about a friend myself."

Kuina takes away the bottle and your head almost drops to the table, and she raises an eyebrow as she examines the liquid. "Wait, you were drinking this stuff straight? Oh, dear. Guess you definitely had enough of that."

She puts the bottle somewhere behind her, and you hide your face inside the crook of your arm. "Why are you doing this?"

"Because I want you to listen. But I won't keep screaming like this, so you come with me. Now."

Kuina leaves you no choice but grabs your arm, ignoring the painful whimper you exhale, and leads you out of the Bar towards a more quiet and less crowded area. It's next to the staircase, and the people here don't pay you any attention.

"Why am I the stupid one? He's the one deserving the lesson."

She pulls you down on a sofa and sits down next to you while you rub the areas where she has touched your bruises.

"Because you're not listening. Yeah, it might have been a wrongheaded idea to take you to the surveillance room. But Chishiya was right, you should try to think before you talk sometimes."

The tears come back again, and you somehow feel betrayed by those words coming out of your friend's mouth.

"Whose side are you on, Kuina??"

"Oh, you stupid." She pulls you into a hug, not too tight of course, patting your back on a spot that's not too badly bruised. "Chishiya said that you weren't the right one, not that you were not good enough."

"Isn't that the same?" It doesn't help that your voice is cracking with another hiccup.

"Not at all. You know why he can't tell you about his plans?"

"Because he doesn't trust me?" You wouldn't even blame him. Just because you shared a kiss, that doesn't mean that he has to pour out his heart in front of you. But you definitely wouldn't have minded...

"Because it's dangerous. And he doesn't want you to be involved because he doesn't want you to get hurt."

"Oh."

Kuina's words actually make sense somehow, and it would put another complexion on the matters with no doubt. But is it true, really?

"He could have said it differently though." You mumble in between sobs, and Kuina can't help but chuckle.

"Well, you didn't let him explain either. Maybe just don't flounce out of the room next time without properly talking about a misunderstanding."

"Still. He could have used a different wording in the first place!" You keep being stubborn in this matter, because it was him after all who acted that weird from the beginning. Kuina sighs and you're sure to hear a feint "Stupid" whispered at your back.

"Sure. But don't forget it's Chishiya we're talking about."

"Am I the only topic you both talk about at any time?" Chishiya's voice sounds from the distance, and both of you look up to see him strolling through the hallway towards the staircase. He has his hands tucked inside his pockets and carries his typical smirk as he drops down next to you on the sofa, exhaling a long breath as he leans back.

"Tell me. What are we supposed to do with you, hm?" He watches you from the corner of his eyes, and you rub the tears out of yours. At least it doesn't matter that they're red and swollen, because the rest of your face looks the same.

"What am I supposed to do with you?" You counter while still pouting, and it causes him to shake his head and chuckle.

"Will you listen to me now without running away in an instant?"

You nod, and Chishiya continues.

"Good. I won't tell you more about what is going on in the surveillance room, so you better don't even bother to ask further. Besides, do me a favor and stay out of this room. It's not meant as an insult, but some things just have to be kept secret. And you're not the right one for this because it means taking a risk. A risk that I don't want you to take. It has nothing to do with you not being good enough for anything."

"Because he doesn't want you to get hurt." Kuina repeats next to you, her eyes clearly screaming "Told you so", and while Chishiya rolls his eyes about that comment, he doesn't disagree.

Instead, he taps your forehead with his finger, causing you to awkwardly flip backwards because while you would never admit it, the alcohol has caused your reactions to slow down with no doubt. "See? Using this thing here could be useful sometimes and would definitely save you some drama now and then."

"All I wanted was to say good morning to you..." You mumble, trying hard not to cry again.

"Good morning. You look awful, by the way." Chishiya replies, and you lean your head against his shoulder the way you always seem to do after he upset you. The roller coaster is slowly going up again, but even though you can't see it yet, you know the next downswing is about to come at some point.

"What... what about a reconciliation hug?"

Chishiya chuckles, smirking down at you. "Let's talk about this when you're sober."