Bittersweet Victory

AN: I guess a warning for slight swearing would be appropriate for this chapter?
Also, ready yourselves for the finale coming tomorrow ♥

__                  __                      __                         __

One of those things often seen in movies or manga are people being shot multiple times, and yet they manage to continue fighting. They appear so strong and heroic, as if it was nothing but a mosquito bite.

But it seems that you are no such super hero. It takes one bullet to completely knock you over, and your world consists of nothing but pain as you fall to the ground. You can't see anything but the white lights of anguish, and in this moment you honestly wish that you'd die. It would have been impossible to describe the flaming hot pain pulsating through your body if you hadn't felt it just now. The throbbing of something that is not supposed to be there and the feeling of torn muscle and flesh. Breaking a bone feels like a hot summer day compared to this.

Are you going to die now? You managed to survive so long, the game is just about to be cleared... How could you fail at last?

You don't notice how Aguni grabs Niragi and storms into the flames. You don't hear the computer voice announcing that there are only three minutes left, and you don't hear Kuina shouting that there's no time left to waste.

There is only you and the white wall dulling everything around you, and it would have even been beautiful if it wasn't for the pain. Is this what dying feels like? Will you soon start to see your life playing backwards, or will the white just consume you entirely?

You're almost ready to give in to it, since the white dulls the pain as well, but something – or someone – won't allow you too. All of a sudden, you feel your body being pulled up, and the pain comes back even worse. You can't help but cry out as someone grabs your arm and puts it over their shoulder.

"Will you ever stop getting yourself into trouble?"

You would have laughed at the fact that Chishiya has come for you now if it didn't hurt like hell.

"I... am dying right now... and this... is all you have to say?"

He snorts. That man really dares to snort in this situation. "The bullet missed your vitals, so you're not dying. But you better hold your breath now."

The warning comes too late, and while Chishiya lifts up your body so he can carry you out of the burning hotel, you cry out again. It hurts so much that you almost feint, but somehow you manage to stay awake.

"The shot pierced your shoulder, thus it shouldn't be too bad."

"Have you... ever been shot?" It's not possible for you to speak in whole sentences, and it doesn't help that the movement of every single step Chishiya takes shoots another wave of agony through your shoulder.

"No."

"Then... shut... the fuck... up!" You want to slap his face so badly, but you can't move your arms. As you leave the lobby, you expect fresh night air to greet your lungs. But it's the smoke from the bonfire instead, and since you're really close to the fire now, the smell of burnt flesh is almost unbearable. You bury your nose into Chishiya's hoodie to get away from the stench, and you realize you're smudging both your hoodies with blood now.

Chishiya carefully lets you down so your back leans against a stone wall, and it's a salvation for your pain that your body is not moving anymore.

"You're really angry at me, huh?" he squats down next to you, and it's a pity that you can't see clearly right now. You clench your teeth and spit, aiming for his face, and judging by the movement of his arm, it has been successful.