Changes

Party on the Beach rarely ever stops. But the biggest celebrations always occur when Hatter heads out to clear another game, and this day is one of them.

You don't understand why he already leaves the Beach even though it's just noon, but it's not unusual he does that. Maybe he wants to take another joyride through Tokyo – he has some pretty women with him at least. Maybe he has his own ways to prepare for the game and needs some distance and peace from the Beach? You wouldn't blame him at all.

Almost everyone from the Beach has gathered at the garages to celebrate Hatter's departure. They cheer and dance around the car, try to touch the Number 1 while the car slowly makes its way through the masses, but not without making way too much noise. Hatter himself is waving and cheering at the people around him, throwing kisses and other ribald gestures at his fans.

This is top-level blatancy, and you can't help but snort at the people acting like he's a god while you watch from a distance.

"Don't like to celebrate?" Chishiya appears behind you, in Kuina's company. You have seen them on the roof not long ago, together with one of the newbies, Arisu. The fact that they both were there to meet with him can only mean that he is part of their plan somehow, and you wonder if he is "the right one for this", whatever "this" is.

While you have nothing against Arisu so far, it still bothers you that Chishiya seems to trust him more than you, even though you're way longer part of the Beach. But you have to accept that there are things you won't understand, and you still have your small victories.

You wait for Chishiya to step up next to you and then link arms with him. He doesn't even say something as you do that, not even as you lean your head against his shoulder while giving a wink to Kuina, who is grinning at you with big eyes.

"Nah... I don't see a reason why. They treat Hatter like a god, but he is no different than any of us. It's not..." You shift a bit to find the most comfortable position. One of the Beachs "medics" who had worked as a nurse before had warned you that the pain of your injuries would get worse first before receding, and this might be the worst day. At least the swelling is slowly ceasing while the rainbow on your skin changes its colors day by day. "Sure, we owe Hatter the Beach. This place is great in many ways, but I still don't think that qualifies him to be praised like this."

"Hatter is in fact the salvation for many of those people. It would be a catastrophe for them if he died tonight." Chishiya doesn't seem to worry about that too much though, as there is the unreadable smirk he usually has.

"It would be bad if he died. I don't think the Beach would remain the same safe place anymore." Your eyes wander to Niragi, who is leaning against the wall of the garage and watches Hatter's car leave the hotel grounds. The grimace he throws at the Number 1 doesn't exactly look friendly. Niragi only looks up to Aguni, and he certainly wouldn't mind him being the next leader. The guys from the militia are creeps, and it's already difficult to keep them in line even with Hatter alive.

"What's the difference between Hatter dying in a game or leaving the Borderlands as soon as all cards are gathered? The Beach will change, no matter what. And not to the better."

You sigh and just enjoy the closeness to Chishiya for a moment while the party slowly moves back to the pools. The soft hoodie that smells so much like him, and the warmth of his body while he is so close to you – you wish he'd be always at your side no matter what.

"At least you'll be here for a little while longer before you'll become Number 1."

Chishiya tenses a little, and you wouldn't even have noticed if you hadn't touched him in that moment. He doesn't give you an answer, and you look up to him in surprise. But his eyes don't meet yours, and something doesn't feel right, but you can't tell what it is.

You know it's no use to ask him, and Kuina speaks up anyway. "I don't know about you two, but now that Hatter's party is over, I could use something to eat."

That sounds like a good idea, and you loosen your grip around Chishiya's arm a bit so you both can walk properly. He still doesn't say a word, and while you head towards the dining room, you wonder if there's anything you can do to find out what's wrong.

Is it because you mentioned him becoming Number 1 sooner or later? Maybe it's not soon enough for him? Or is he afraid the rules will change once Hatter is gone?

I don't care about some plastic numbers. You suddenly remember the conversation you've had at the pools and wonder what exactly he meant with that.

You hesitantly whisper his name, and Chishiya looks down to you, but there's no smirk or mocking comment this time. You smile at him, hoping to make things better with that. But before you can talk about it, Kuina has started to complain about just how much she misses real fast food.

"I'd die for a double cheeseburger! With extra cheese and onions. And some fries. The more fat, the better."

"Blech! Kuina!" Her musing makes you laugh, and your stomach rumbles as you get closer to the kitchen of the Beach.

"What? You probably have never eaten a proper burger if you think like that. You look rather like one of those persons who would order a salad inside a restaurant."

She shakes her head. "I honestly don't get it. Why would people order a salad when they're already going out for dinner? You don't walk into a bar and ask for a water bottle either!"

You miss going to a restaurant. The Beach provides enough food for everybody, but most of it is can food that has been upgraded with the bit of fresh food available in the Borderlands. And it has been a long time since you've had a proper meal worthy of a restaurant.

"Oi, Chishiya!" Kuina gives him a punch into his shoulder, encouraging him to join the conversation. "What did you eat before this? You don't look like someone who can cook."

"Why? Just because I'm a man?"

"Kuina is right", you have to admit, "you don't seem to be someone worthy the title of a cook."

"I can do cup ramen", Chishiya returns with a shrug.

"Everyone can make cup ramen."

Kuina gabbles about that coworker of hers who was not even able to pour some cooking water into a cup while you grab something edible, and in the end, you find yourself back in Chishiya's room.

Despite the weird moment you had before, sitting, eating and talking together on one bed feels so lighthearted that it'd be easy to forget where you are, even though it's still Kuina and you doing most of the talking.

It is fun to watch Kuina when she gets too excited about something, as she will wildly move her arms around while trying to explain why this is bad or person x is an idiot. Soon, night is falling, and you slowly get tired, more than once startling from a sudden doze. Sometimes when you open your eyes with a start, you see Chishiya's eyes resting on you as if he has been watching you doze.

"Chishiya? Can I sleep in your bed tonight?" You wonder what would happen if you actually fell asleep here. Would he wake you up or would he just allow you to sleep?

"No."

"Why not? I want to." You snuggle deeper into the blanket and grin at him, and Kuina throws a pillow at you while Chishiya just rolls his eyes.

"And I said no."

"What if I told you that I had bedbugs in my room?"

"Then I'd tell you that there are plenty of unused rooms left in the Beach."

"And if every other room was infested except yours?"

Kuina squeaks and shakes herself. "Eww! Then I want to sleep here too!"

"We both now it has nothing to do with bugs."

You laugh and throw the pillow back to Kuina as you suppress a yawn. "Aww, alright. But one day, Chishiya. One day. There's still plenty of time left to try." There's nothing you couldn't achieve with your stubbornness so far, and one day you'll sleep in his bed. And maybe braid his hair.

But it just doesn't feel right that Chishiya gives you no answer. Something is off, you can feel it. You just can't grasp what it is exactly. It might just be your tired brain overreacting, but it still worries you. And you don't like that at all.