Chapter Five

Allure

I woke up sweating profusely as my whole body shook. I was only having a nightmare thank God. I went in the bathroom to pour cold water over my face.

I could never have peace; even in my dreams Romello haunted me. I could never escape him it seemed. Now I really wished Keenon was here so he could comfort me. Whenever I have these nightmares about Romello, I can never get back to sleep.

I looked at the alarm clock which said 11:38 pm. I called Keenon but it went straight to voicemail. I decided on not leaving a voicemail since it wasn’t urgent. I just wanted someone to talk to. Instead, I settled on sending him a text.

Hey it’s Allure. Just wanted 2 make sure u were safe. See u when u get home.

Hopefully Keenon wouldn’t be out all night so I would have someone to sleep with instead of sleeping by myself. But I was also worried about him. What if something happens during the bank robbery? What if he gets caught? Then who would protect me? All the what if’s swirled around my mind making it hard to sleep.

What is happening to me? Why do I care for Keenon so much? I knew what I was feeling but I was trying to avoid it at all costs. I was beginning to catch feelings for Keenon and I didn’t want this to happen. Scratch that this wasn’t supposed to happen. I appreciate him taking me in and looking after me but me falling for him was not in the plan at all.  

In the short time I’ve known him, Keenon has showed me things Romello never could. Keenon was caring, compassionate, and gentle. Sure Romello was nice at first but he never possessed any of these traits, even in the beginning. I just was blind to who he really was.  

I cringed at the thought of being with Romello considering the hell I went through as a teen prostitute. The fact that Romello showed me affection made me cling on to him quickly. I realize now that I never knew what true love was or what it meant because it was never showed to me. My mom was incapable of showing me love and being a good mother because crack consumed her life.

My pimp’s way of showing me love was by making me submissive and using mind control on me so I wouldn’t leave. And Romello’s way of showing me love was by beating me up constantly and forcing sex on me.I can’t say for sure if Keenon loves me or not but Keenon has showed me true kindness.

No other person in my life other than my teachers in school showed me this. Look at me becoming a lil’ softie for Keenon! I vowed to never have a soft spot for any man after Romello and here I am feeling all mushy- gushy for Keenon. Maybe one day I’ll get the strength to tell him how I feel.

***

Keenon

After leavin’ the brib, me and my niggas headed out to rob this bank. We had our eyes set on dis bank fo’ a minute but we had ta wait for da perfect time to hit it. My homie was able to get somebody to hack into da security system at da bank so we ain’t gotta worry ‘bout da alarm goin’ off. A nigga is about to get paid!

It’s about a good three hunnid thousand in da safe! Once we divide it up fo’ the four of us, dat’s $75,000 a piece. When I was a young nigga, I used to rob people’s houses and shit, stealin’ jewelry and TV’s just to get a lil’ money at da pawn shop. Now a nigga done moved up to robbin’ banks and jewelry stores and shit!

“Yo is we gon’ hit up dat jewelry store too my niggas? I heard it’s some big ass diamonds and rubies and shit up in there. You know dem shits go fo’ a couple hunnid racks!”

My nigga Tee Cee asked as he put his ski mask on over his face.

“Naw we’ll hit dat up next week.” I told him as I smoked the last of da blunt.