Chapter 5

It took the rest of the week for Kahli to finish the bridge to Amber Island, with some assistance from Arlo. But when all was said and done, she felt a sense of accomplishment as she admired her work.

When she returned home that evening, however, she found that Huss and Tuss had returned, waiting for her in front of the house just as they promised. Huss greeted her immediately as she approached them.

"How do you do, Kahli? Do you have the money to pay off your debts?"

Kahli crossed her arms. "I know who you are."

Huss's gaze narrowed on her. "Oh, you do, do you?" He cracked his knuckles threateningly. "You should know, I'm not afraid to hit a woman."

Kahli grinned. "Neither am I."

"You should be," Arlo's voice sneered. He trotted up on his horse, and Huss and Tuss immediately backed away. "Haven't you caused enough trouble around here?"

"We're not afraid of you," Huss hissed.

Arlo slid off his horse, and without another word, the troublesome brothers squealed and took off running down the road.

Kahli turned to Arlo expectantly. "Aren't ya gonna chase 'em down, cowboy?"

"Cowboy?"

Kahli rolled her eyes. "You Civil Corps sure do a good job around here."

"Did you really think you were going to fight them?"

"I may be worthless with a hammer, but I can throw a punch, you know."

Arlo crossed his arms. "I'd like to see that."

"Alright, tough guy," Kahli taunted. She punched her fist into her palm. "Let's go. I can kick your ass."

Arlo laughed. "That's adorable."

"Afraid?"

"I don't fight damsels in distress."

Kahli scoffed. "That's 'cuz you're afraid I'll embarrass you."

Arlo shook his head.

"What if I was a big baddie? If I attacked you? Brought a hammer up to your neck?" She made a slicing motion across her neck.

"I'd be more concerned for your thumb."

Kahli narrowed her gaze on him and smiled. "Me too."

Arlo laughed. "I'll keep an eye on things, but please stay out of trouble, alright?"

"Is that why you're in the Corps?" Kahli asked. "So you can creep on all the pretty ladies?"

Arlo smirked and got back on his horse. "Maybe," he said, turning his horse around and trotting back into town.

Kahli blushed and turned away, but it didn't matter; Arlo was already out of sight. She turned her attention back to her workshop; she already had another commission lined up. This one was from Dawa with a request to help fix a section of fencing at the tree farm. An easy job, far easier than her attempt to build the bridge. She figured it would only take a couple hours to do, so she opted to save the job for the next day, turning in for the night for some much needed rest.

In the morning, as she was puttering around in her workshop, a cheery faced peered around the door. When Kahli met the young woman's gaze, she stopped and offered her visitor a smile in greeting.

"Hey, there," she said. "Sorry to bother ya." She stepped into the workshop. "I'm Sam. We haven't officially met yet, but I've heard a lot about you already!"