Chapter 24

It was late in the evening when Kahli finished her work, and her stomach growled, reminding her that she needed to eat. Earlier that morning, she wouldn't have dared step into the plaza, never mind a bustling restaurant where nearly all of Portia would be. But she was hungry, and she didn't have much for food in the house. Plus, she knew she couldn't hide away forever. She wasn't sure if she felt ready to talk about anything, but when she saw Arlo and Remington standing outside the Round Table, it seemed that that conversation would happen whether she was ready or not.

She hesitated when she met Arlo's gaze, and he smiled at her in greeting. They were quiet for a moment until Remington cleared his throat.

"Alright, well," he started. He nodded to Kahli in greeting. "Kahli. Guess I'll see ya inside." He went inside, leaving them alone in the plaza in the cool night.

"So, uh," Kahli started in a desperate attempt to fill the silence. "I gave Sam your jacket."

"Yeah, thanks," he said. "You might want to invest in a couple. This isn't Barnarock, you know."

Kahli laughed. "Yeah, seriously. I'm not used to this cold weather."

"This is nothing," he said. "It's just going to get colder."

"I don't know how I'll survive," she said.

"You'll get used to it."

"Sure." She fell quiet..

"So, did you hear all the rumors, too?" Arlo asked.

Kahli let out a breath. "It's like these people have nothing better to talk about," she said. She laughed nervously. "I'm afraid to walk in there."

"Then don't." He offered her a smile. "We can go somewhere else."

"We?"

"Unless you don't want to hang out," Arlo said quickly.

"No, no, I do." She hesitated. "I just... I guess... are we... what are we doing?"

"I was hoping to eat," Arlo said. "I haven't eaten all day."

"No, I mean." She bit her lower lip. "You know. People keep asking me questions and I don't know what to tell them."

"About us?"

She swallowed. "Yeah."

"What do you want to tell them?"

"Oh, sure, just put me on the spot," she muttered. "I told you I'm not good at this!"

Arlo laughed. "Right, I forgot," he said. "Well, I can tell you what I'd like to tell them." He stepped forward and took her hand in his.

Kahli nodded. "Okay," she whispered. "Cool. Me too."

Arlo kissed her. "We can get outta here," he whispered.

Kahli smiled and met his gaze. "Nah," she said. "I mean. Maybe. Later." Her cheeks warmed. "But I'm kinda hungry, too."

Arlo stepped aside and gestured toward the door. "After you."

Kahli sucked in a breath, then opened the door and stepped through.

To her relief, not everyone turned their attention to the door, too involved in their drinks and conversation to notice them at first. But she did catch the gazes of exactly the people she thought would be interested in the two of them. Sam, Emily, Remington, and Antoine all sat at the bar, and each of their heads turned curiously to them. Django glanced briefly over his shoulder as he prepared a tray of drinks, and from across the room, Sonia looked up and grinned at them. Even Presley and Gale seemed to eye them curiously, though they quickly resumed their conversation, paying them no further mind.