Chapter 16

Naturally, Kahli spent the rest of her evening probably reading too much into Arlo's words. But she told herself he was simply being nice. Everyone in Portia was nice. And she was an awkward, snarky, dork. She didn't really think she fit in with them. They all had their lives together, and she was just the new girl that stumbled her way in without a damn clue as to what she was doing.

Still, they welcomed her, and though she had only been there a few months, she quickly grew close with Emily, Sam, and Sonia. And, sure, she supposed even Arlo, though she tried not to think too much about it.

Work. She needed more work to do. So the next morning, she made her way into town. It wasn't particularly early, but she was still surprised to see so many people milling about. Nora and Lee were among them, and though Lee seemed to be in the midst of a discussion with Tody, Nora stood off to the side alone. When she spotted Kahli, she smiled and waved, and Kahli stopped to wish her a good morning.

"Nice to see you," Nora said. "Seems like you've been keeping busy lately."

"I'm more of a night owl," Kahli admitted. "And I apparently spend my evenings at the Round Table, now."

Nora giggled. "That's certainly where a lot of people hang out," she said. "Django and Sonia do a great job."

"I don't think I've seen you there."

"I'm not much of a drinker," Nora said. "And I've been really focused on my work with the church. I'm only here for another year and a half." She shrugged. "So, I guess I don't really get out much."

"Strictly business," Kahli commented.

Nora hesitated. "I guess so." She paused. "Actually. Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you... Are you and Arlo..."

"No," Kahli said quickly. "I mean. What? No. We're friends. Just friends."

But this didn't seem to be the answer she was expecting. "Oh," she said softly. Her brows furrowed slightly, as if confused.

"Did... you think we were... something?"

"I thought maybe you liked him," she said. "Or that maybe he liked you."

Kahli hesitated. "Why would you think that?"

Nora let out a sigh. "You guys seemed to be hanging out a lot," she started. "And... I don't know. I thought maybe..."

Kahli offered her a smile. "Nah," she said, trying to play it off casually "He's all yours."

Nora gave a short, light laugh. "Not really," she said. "I mean. I do kind of like him, I guess. But... I dunno. I kinda told him that, and he kinda turned me down."

"Oh." She started to feel guilty; had she led him to that decision? She had tried to sound unbiased, but maybe she let her own feelings get in the way.

"And I thought maybe it was because he liked you." She met Kahli's gaze. "So, I guess I was just... curious... if you were, well, you know..."

"No," Kahli said. "Ha. No. I don't think he sees me that way."

"But you like him." She smiled.

Kahli pulled her gaze away. "No," she said. "I mean. Yeah. You know. As a friend."

"It's okay," Nora said. "We're too different, anyway. I don't think there'd be much of a future for us, with him wanting to join the Flying Pigs and all. But, for what it's worth, I think he likes you."

Kahli hesitated. "I dunno about that," she said, then shook her head, dismissing the idea entirely. "There... wouldn't be a future for us, either. He's not exactly in a position to have a serious relationship."