Chapter 15

Kahli did keep herself busy with work over the next few days, earning herself some decent pay. And as usual, it was Emily that came and dragged her out of her workshop, reminding her to show her face in town and attempt to have some kind of social life.

"You get way too involved with work," Emily said as she pulled her wrist and led her up the road. "You're going to turn into Higgins."

She followed Emily to the Round Table where they took their usual seats at the bar. Sonia quickly made them their drinks, then returned to tending to the dinner rush. Sam, Arlo, and Remington were already seated at a table when they arrived, and Sam bounced up to them, joining them at the bar.

"Excellent," she said. "I was hoping we could get our drink on!"

Emily shook her head. "I promised Gran I'd make it an early night."

Sam turned to Kahli expectantly. Kahli raised her drink and Sam cheered.

"No Antoine?" Kahli asked.

"I think he's at home writing smut starring himself and Dr. Xu," Emily said.

"He really needs to get laid," Sam said.

"One of these days, we should really take a trip into the city," Emily said. "Take him out, get him drunk, and see who he ends up going home with."

"Maybe then he'll stop creepin' on the hot doctor all the time." Sam rolled her eyes.

"Do we really have nothing better to talk about?" Kahli asked.

Sam and Emily shrugged.

"C'mon," Sam said. "It's Portia. It's not exactly the most exciting place in the world."

"That can't be true," Emily said. "You guys seem to be keeping pretty busy."

"There has been increased activity on the edges of Portia," Sam said. "We can't figure out why, though."

"Do you think Duvos has something to do with it?" Emily asked.

Sam frowned. "I dunno," she said. "I hope not." When Sonia returned behind the counter, Sam ordered a drink, and Albert slid between her and Kahli.

"Ladies," he said smoothly. He gave Kahli a wink. "Sonia, dear, another round?"

"For you, Alby, anything." She met his gaze and smile.

Kahli watched their interaction for a moment. Sonia giggled as Albert flirted with her, and his hand lingered on her's when she handed him his drink. He glanced at Kahli, Emily, and Sam once more, flashing them a sparkling grin, before leaving the bar.

When he was out of earshot, Emily snorted and rolled her eyes. "Why do you do that?" she said to Sonia.

Sonia smiled, her cheeks warming slightly, and she turned her attention to some dirty glasses. "He tips when I stroke his ego."

"That's not all you're stroking," Sam muttered.

"I thought he was a womanizer?" Kahli asked.

"He is," Emily confirmed with a nod. "But he's got money, and Sonia's into that."

"You say that like it's a bad thing," Sonia said, narrowing her eyes at Emily.

"It's not your best trait," Emily said dryly, and she sipped her drink.

"Salty," Sam said.

"Is it so wrong to look for a man with a stable income?"

"It is if that's all you like about him," Emily said.