Chapter Three-Journal One

Me: Hey, I haven't updated Reverse Falls in a while, maybe I should work on that.

Last Updated: 3 months ago

Me: ...Oops.

Sorry about such a long delay between chapters! I was busy with school and many other stories, and I'm a terrible multi-tasker. Hope you enjoy!

..........................................

The next week proved, despite Pacifica's sincerest wishes, to be very boring. Bud had immediately put the two of them to work, Pacifica at the counter, and Gideon restocking the shelves. 

Gideon held up a snow globe for Pacifica to see. "Hey Paz, Dad said to mark up these prices, how does $20 sound?"

Pacifica looked up from her magazine at the counter and snorted. "I think $200's more like it."

He blinked at her, then shook his head in disbelief as he wrote a new tag.

Just then, Robbie slammed open the front door, panting with exhaustion. "Woo!" he whistled. "That Sheriff Durland has a surprising amount of speed for an old dude. He almost get me when I went over the fence." He smacked down a pack of beers on the counter.

"Woah!" Pacifica and Gideon gasped in unison, forgetting everything that they had been doing. Robbie only grinned at them. 

"How on earth did you get that?" Pacifica breathed.

"Easy. You can just walk into the police station and they've got a whole mini fridge full of them. Unfortunately, Durland has a keener eye than most, and he caught me making off with them. Fastest I've ever ran," Robbie boasted. Gideon reached for one, but Robbie swiped it away before he could.

"Uh uh uh. Not until you've sprinted 2 miles, kid." He headed off with them, but Melody intercepted him with an uneasy expression.

"Robbie, you really shouldn't have those..." Melody was a sweet woman who always abided by Bud's rules, even if they weren't entirely fair. She had wispy caramel hair  that was tied in a low ponytail, and a skin tone to match. Her chocolate brown eyes were always sparkling, and her outfit consisted of an oversized green shirt with a question mark painted on it, a pair of khaki shorts, and olive green hiking boots.

Robbie rolled his eyes. "Come on, live a little, Melody! What Bud doesn't know won't hurt him." He ducked past her and started climbing the ladder to the roof.

"Not unless I tell him." Robbie froze.

He climbed back down, grinning nervously at Melody's stern expression. "And why would you do that?"

Melody shrugged. "I could probably get a raise if I did."

Pacifica jumped into the conversation, spotting an opportunity. "Tell you what-we won't tell Bud about this if you take over both of our shifts today. How does that sound?"

He frowned, thinking about it, then eventually sighed in defeat. "Fine. But you better not tell him, or that'll be the end of you. Understand?"

"Perfectly. C'mon, Gideon,  let's get out of here!" She grabbed Gideon's arm before he could even respond, dragging him out the door.

Gideon took a seat on the grass. "Well, it looks like we have the afternoon off. What should we do?"

Pacifica laughed. "What do you think? Let's check out the woods!"

Ever since they'd arrived in Gravity Ascends, Pacifica had been entranced by the sight of the woods. Hundreds of tall oak and pine trees, all bathed in an eerie glow. Melody had also told her that she shouldn't go there, which only fed her curiosity further.