Chapter Four-First Encounters

"Now, listen to me carefully, because I'm only going to say this once. I want a large triple non-fat white chocolate cappuccino with honey, foam, an extra pump of vanilla, and extra whipped cream. Oh, yes, and I want all of this to be vegan. You got that?" Dipper grinned at the very flustered barista.

"Um, yes?" she sputtered.

He smiled sweetly. "Good, because otherwise I'm going to sue you."

"I-I see." She turned to Mabel. "And for you, miss?"

Mabel stared her down, causing her to shrink slightly. "French pressed black coffee. And be quick about it, I have places to be."

The barista nodded hurriedly. "Of course, miss." She set off in a flurry making their drinks. 

As the pair walked just outside the café to find a table, Dipper snorted. "Where could you possibly have to be in this town? Do you have an urgent meeting with a groundhog?"

Mabel rolled her eyes. She found a table and collapsed into it, Dipper doing the same in the opposite chair. "Our uncles have called me into the office to discuss important business this afternoon. You wouldn't have heard about it."

Dipper face shifted for only a second before adjusting to his signature smirk. "Oh, that's a shame. I thought for a second that you might have a hot date."

She shook her head. "Must you always be so juvenile? I have no time to behave like a fool."

Dipper shrugged. "Your loss. Speaking of dates...I'm afraid I'm going to have miss dinner tonight, I have a reservation at the Diamond Club for Ciara and I."

Mabel paused in her thoughts. "Don't you mean Tiffany?"

He shot her a devilish grin. "No."

She scoffed.

A high pitched squeal interrupted Mabel's disdain as they both turned to the direction of the noise. Two girls were running towards them, not paying attention to the annoyed customers around them. 

The first girl looked like she had jumped straight out of the Heathers, with a green pin-striped blazer, a silver brooch, and a matching green skirt. She had white stockings that reached her knees, and clunky black Mary Janes. She was petite, with very pale skin and stick straight hair the color of licorice. Over her chocolate brown eyes, she wore purple rhinestone glasses, which matched her sparkly purple phone perfectly.

The girl just behind her seemed to be her polar opposite. She was bulky, with tanned, weathered skin and a mess of shoulder length auburn hair. She wore a long-sleeved yellow shirt underneath a frilly purple shirt with yellow ducklings on it. She had a faded pair of blue jeans on, and a pair of lavender high tops. A single yellow barrette kept her auburn hair out of her face.

The girl in green, who was apparently the cause of all the noise, excitedly grabbed a chair from a nearby and pulled up next to Mabel. "Mabel, Mabel, Mabel!" she squealed.

Mabel turned to her, disinterested. "What is it, Candy? It had better be important."

Candy scrolled through her phone feverishly as the bulkier girl grabbed another chair and sat down beside her. "Remember that girl who spilled soup on your designer heels three weeks ago?"

Mabel inspected her nails. "Disgusting girl. Couldn't even afford a few hundred dollars to pay me back. What about her?"

"Well..." Candy grinned maniacally. "I was digging through her profile on social media and I found this post she made five years ago." She held it up for Mabel to see. It read, To be honest, I think I might be homophobic. I don't know, I just don't want them around me.