Chapter Seven-Demon Summoning 101

"What?"

Gideon's cousin looked like she was ready to tear her own hair out. "I just came up here, a-and the place was completely trashed! And the j-journal's not here!"

"You didn't tell anyone about it, did you?"

"No!" Pacifica stood up. "I didn't tell a soul!"

"And you didn't see anyone?" 

"N-" Pacifica paused in the middle of her sentence, thinking. "Well, I did see someone. But it couldn't have been them, it's impossible!"

Gideon raised an eyebrow at her.

She sighed and collapsed onto the mattress that was strewn across the floor. "Dipper came by earlier."

The white-haired boy startled. "What did he want? More importantly, why did you let him in?" His patience was wearing thin now.

"I wasn't going to, but Uncle Bud had taken the store keys with him when he went to...steal an animatronic woodchuck, I think it was? I dunno, I wasn't paying attention. Then Dipper came by in his limo, you know how he is, and I couldn't exactly lock him out."

Gideon sat down on the empty bed frame, apprehensive. "What did he say?"

"He came to say sorry for the show." Her cousin's eyes narrowed in disbelief. "Yeah, I know, I didn't believe him at first either, but he seemed really sincere about it. He apologized, we talked for a little while, and then he left. Then I came upstairs and found all this." She gestured around her. "But it couldn't have been him, he was downstairs the entire time!"

Gideon's face went into what Pacifica called 'detective mode'. "It's the only thing that makes sense though. Mabel actually asked me about the journal at dinner."

Pacifica's head jerked up. "Really?"

He nodded. "Not directly, but she kept asking me about books and hidden objects in the woods. She mentioned that you had something." He sighed. He didn't want to have to accuse his cousin, but..."Pacifica...you didn't show either of them the journal, did you?"

She shook her head furiously. "No! I didn't open my bag once!" Then something flickered behind her eyes, and she seemed to shrink into herself. "I mean, not on purpose..."

"Pacifica...what did you do?"

Her fingers twirled her blonde hair twitchily, and her blue gaze went everywhere but his eyes. "When I was telling Dipper off for being a jerk, that one girl in green we saw with Mabel got all huffy and pushed me. And...in doing so...might have knocked the journal out of my bag right in front of Dipper."  She said the last part extremely quickly and in several octaves higher than usual.

Gideon put his face in his hands and groaned. "Ugh...Are you kidding me?!"

"I know!" Pacifica hid her face behind a Singular Timez pillow. "It was an accident! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry-"

Gideon was barely listening to her. "Great, just great. Now the Gleeful twins have their hands on the journal. Peachy."

Pacifica suddenly stopped in her string of apologies, and cocked her head at him. "No, they don't. I already told you, there's no way they could've done this, Dipper was downstairs the entire time."

"So what's your big idea of what happened, then?"

Pacifica opened her mouth to speak, then promptly shut it.

"Exactly. Now come on, we've got a lead to follow." Gideon searched around in the mess for his backpack, finding it stuffed under his bed.

His cousin startled to her feet. "Really? Now?"