Introduction

Saturday 16 January 2021

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?
————-from the song "Auld Lang Syne"

...Yes, yes, I know this is typically a song sung for New Year's. But it's still close enough, isn't it? Anyway, the song just feels appropriate for Sinewave Londinium herself-and not just because of the name-and for the time I've spent roleplaying with all of you. Funnily enough, it kept popping up in all sorts of places lately-first in the book "The Hunting Party", by Lucy Foley, which is set around the time of the new year and which I happened to read at that time, then I heard it playing in a shopping centre, recognising the tune but not realising it was this song until I happened to look it up (as a result of reading the verse in The Hunting Party and wanting to hear the song), and finally, in a random episode of Strange Hill High I decided to watch-The Snide Piper, one of my favourites. Having heard of the song but not been acquainted with it until all these things happened...well, I suppose they were a syne-er, I mean, a sine-....sorry...a sign that this would be an appropriate title for this book, when I decided to do this special tribute.

So what is this? Well, this is essentially a thank you to all of my amazing roleplay partners, a toast to all of you, your characters, all the time and effort you've put into roleplaying with me, all the love you've shown me (and my most precious OC),  and how you've all just made me feel so appreciated and everything. I consider many of you to be friends as well, valuing the interactions we have outside the roleplays as well as those within. And there is no further proof of how wanted and appreciated I am, than all the people who participated in Sinewave's birthday this year.

As you can see in her bio, Sinewave Londinium's canonical birthday was 16 January 1757. This date just felt right to me. Funnily enough, she does fit the stereotypes associated with her zodiac sign Capricorn, though this is rather ironic considering that she'd never believe in that. That isn't why I chose that date though. The fact that I gave her a birthday at all was more to do with the fact that it made more sense to give her a set date of origin as opposed to a set age, for reasons of practicality and the symbolism of the timing of it (the Enlightenment).

Really, I didn't plan on doing anything special for this, I just wrote an announcement acknowledging that it was Sinewave's 264th birthdsy. However, when TheCrazyRavenclaw actually replied to that message and wished her a happy birthday, I decided to actually have Sinewave herself respond to it, as if that had come from the OC that they were using in our roleplay! So, special thanks to you for inspiring this whole thing!
Anyway, after that, I decided to do this for anyone who wanted to get a special birthday response from Sinewave. They could just ask for it, or give me a passage like an actual RP response. I didn't know how many I'd get, but I was really amazed by the results. So, I've preserved all of those special responses here, along with a message for each of you, as a tribute not just to Sinewave herself, but to all of you guys.

Thank you all for the amazing roleplaying experiences you've given me this year. I hope that you've enjoyed it as much as I have and will continue to do so. 2020 especially was a pretty gnarly year for all of us, so hopefully I was able to make it a little better for you, as you all did for me.
This was an amazing beginning to a new year, so the titular song is appropriate here in that context after all! Perhaps I should make a new year's resolution to finish Enlightenment too.

Once again, thank you to all of my amazing roleplay partners, especially those who participated in celebrating Sinewave's birthday. You are all amazing people and I am truly grateful for each and every one of you.

Yours mathematically, SinewaveSanctuary.