Second Thoughts

Trusting his instincts and memory, Jay adjusted the prosthetic tailfin and leaned left and Kai followed the action by angling his body left, and they made it past the first pillar. Kai quickly swerved back right and Jay tried to keep up; shifting his weight and the tailfin as another pillar flew past. He tried to keep up as Kai did most of the work. Everything around them was a blur of grey and black rock, but there was something there. Inside, waiting for the moment.

Jay barely had time to think as Kai seemed to roll in mid-air, not even noticing as the blood rushed to Jay's head and gravity tried to pull him down.

They both moved in synch, and within seconds they were out of the maze of stone. The sky seemed to clear as they left the fog, returning to the clear blue they had seen before. Jay was panting in adrenaline, and slowly he realized what they had done. Happiness seemed to be radiating from Kai in waves, and Jay couldn't help but laugh as he threw his arms in the air.

"Yes!" He shouted, closing his eyes as he took at the moment. Jay felt Kai move under him and looked forward before his face fell. "Oh come on..." He groaned. One important thing he learned about dragonbloods was that while humans celebrated by cheering and jumping around, dragonbloods celebrated by creating a wall of fire and flying through it...

****************

Jay shuttered, still trying to come to terms with what they had done. We had both landed safely on a small cliff that stood off a larger cliff face, and Kai had lit a small fire before sitting down against the rock wall, happily smirking as he devoured some meat Jay had managed to get Ninjago. Suddenly Kai looked up as if he had heard something, before shrugging it off and looking at his friend.

"Hungry?" He asked, offering Jay a half-eaten chicken leg.

"Uh... no thank you." He politely declined with a small smile as he shifted away from the chewed on meat. Kai snorted before going back to his own meal.

"I'll have some if you let me have a look at your knife?" He suggested and Kai thought about it for a moment.

"Deal." He sighed as he hesitantly handed over his knife. As Jay's hands passed over his knife the dragonblood seemed to flinch, and for a second Jay thought he was going to pull back his blade, but instead he slid it into the human's hand.

"One scratch and-"

"You'll tear off my head and cut my eyes out with a rusty fork I know." He finished and Kai froze for a second, and Jay grinned as he realized he used the mind link to find out what he was going to say.

"I was going to say I'd burn your hair in the fiery pits of hell, but either will do." He shrugged and Jay held back a laugh as Kai tried to cover it up, but one of the positives yet negatives of a mind link was you could tell when the other was lying. Jay carefully examined the blade, and the realization finally hit him.

"It's flawless." He breathed in awe. Kai chuckled and Jay realized he had just fed his ego again, as he handed the other's blades back.

"No weapon is flawless, but this is as close as they get." He brushed off, Jay shook his head knowing Kai was a hopeless cause when the sound of wings beating broke through the quiet solitude. Jay looked up and saw three dragonbloods flying towards them, as Kai growled under his breath. As they landed, Jay realized the three of them as Smoke, Energy, and Form Dragonbloods. He recognized them from the books back in the great hall back in Ninjago.

The Smoke Dragonblood's bright ebony eyes sat concealed within the creature's narrow, thorny skull with large, angular ears.

A row of tendrils ran down the sides of each of its jawlines. Its nose was flat and had two short, rounded nostrils. Several rows of large teeth poked out from the side of its mouth. A strong neck ran down from its head and into a bulky body. The top of its body was covered in curved ash grey scales. It also had a row of small darker grey spikes running down its spine and its bottom was covered in thick blacks skin. Four slim limbs carried its long body and allowed the creature to stand towering and elegantly over them.