Home

On the other side of Ninjago, things weren't going as well. Large ships started docking in the harbor, with large holes and scorch marks everywhere. Claws looked like they had been run up the side of the sea vessels, and it was a miracle they still floated. Everyone silently got off the ship, and it was obvious what had happened. Ed and Edna sighed as Cliff walked over to them.

"I trust you found the lair at least."

"Not even close." Cliff sighed in frustration. "I hope you had \a little more success than me." He added and the couple shared a smirk, having been looking forward to telling the father all week.

"Well if you mean by success your parenting troubles are over, then yes!" Edna smiled proudly. Cliff turned eyes wide, as a group of citizens ran past them.

"Congratulations Cliff, everyone is so relieved!"

"Out with the old and in with the new right?"

"No one will miss that nuisance!"

"The city is throwing a party to celebrate!" Another one cheered before the group ran off to tell the others, and Cliff's heart fell into his stomach.

"He's gone?" He muttered in horror. Ed raised an eyebrow, before explaining.

"Um...yes most afternoons, but who can blame him? The life of a celebrity's very rough, he can barely walk through the streets without being swarmed by his new fans." He explained as the other man chuckled, not believing the news.

"My son?"

"Who would've guessed it? He seemed to have this... way with the beasts." Edna nodded and Cliff's eyes went wide before a smile of pride appeared on his face for the first time...

****************

Jay sighed as his tired face rested on a wooden desk, as he drew scribbles on a once-white sheet of paper. Previous drawings of Kai and a few other dragonbloods littered the table and walls, a long-forgotten notebook thrown open with illegible notes on the pages. The lead broke on Jay's pencil and he sighed, looking at the drawing of Lloyd he didn't realize he had been drawing. He turned to grab another pencil and saw Cliff walk through the doorway.

Jumping off the chair, Jay quickly tried to cover up as many pictures as he could.

"Dad! You're back! Um... Ed and Edna aren't here." He said as Cliff glared at him and stepped into the room, frowning.

"I know, I was looking for you." He said coldly. Jay thought over the possibilities in his head and was quickly overcome by an impending sense of doom.

"Y-you did?"

"You've been hiding something from me." He added and Jay leaned over my drawings, trying to sound casual.

"I ha-, I have?"

"How long did you think you could hide this from me?"

"I-I don't know what you're..."

"NOTHING happens on this island without me hearing about it."

"So?"

"So... let's talk, about that dragonblood." He frowned as Jay's drawings fell out from underneath his arm and he hung his head as they fell to the floor.

"Oh gods, Dad I'm so sorry I-I-I was going to tell you... I just didn't know how to..." He tried to explain when all of a sudden Cliff started to laugh, and Jay'd mind collapsed into confusion. "You're, you're not...upset?"

"What? I was hoping for this!" He exclaimed and his son raised an eyebrow. His father wanted him to befriend one of the most dangerous dragonbloods known to man?

"Ah...you were?"

"And believe me, it only gets better! Just wait until you defeat a Wind Dragonblood for the first time, and mount your very first Metal Dragonblood's head!" He almost cheered and Jay almost sweatdropped. His tiny hope that his father had had a change of heart about dragonbloods vanishing along with his appetite. "What a feeling! You really had me going there, son! All those years of being the worst fighter Ninjago had ever seen, it was rough; I almost gave up on you, and all this time you were holding out on me!" He laughed as he turned to grab a chair, and Jay finally realized he was talking about training.

"Uh, Dad-"

"With you doing so well in your training we finally have something to talk about." He smiled with anticipation as an awkward silence filled the room. Jay smiled sheepishly before his face fell and the room stayed silent. Cliff realized his son did not feel like talking and cleared his throat.

"Um, Here I brought you something, so you can...keep yourself safe." He said as he pulled out a shield. "Your mother would've wanted you to have this, it was her first shield." He smiled fondly as he handed the shield to his son, who examined every feature. This impressive pointed heater shield, made from ironbark, offered heavy-duty protection, especially against arrows and bolts and piercing attacks. The shield's edges were embellished with layered metal plates and had been decorated with engraved words.

Its center was decorated with several blue gemstones and symbols of lightning.

It was clear this shield had been through numerous battles. Scores and scratches made by who knows what types of Dragonbloods had left signs of perseverance and power.

"It... keeps her close, carry it proudly because you deserve it; you've held up your end of the deal." He smiled as Jay stared at the shield, before carefully placing it on the table and stretching.

"I should really get to bed."

"Yes, good., ok, good talk."

"Thanks for stopping by and-"

"Hope you like the shield."

"Yeah, thanks."

"Good night Jay," Cliff said as he exited the room, and Jay heard them both sigh relieved. A crash came from downstairs and he winced, leaning down to pick up the discarded pages. He hadn't realized how caught up he had been in his thoughts, because there were three new pictures he only faintly remembered drawing. One was Chamille sitting near the campfire, and the other was the one he had been drawing when Cliff came in. The final one made him laugh; it was a sketch of Kai and Ash with their arms around each other's shoulders laughing.

"Where'd the hell I get the idea for that one?" He muttered to himself as he placed all the pages in the top drawer of his desk and sighed, before collapsing on the bed. Too lazy to change, he looked up at the ceiling, which was surprisingly plain. Tomorrow he would fail and dragonblood training.

"Why?" Kai suddenly asked. Jay jumped up screaming, looking around the room. If Cliff found the brunette here Jay didn't dare think about the consequences.

"Kai where are you?" He asked into thin air, but when no response came Jay remembered the soulbond and sighed. "What are you doing in my head?"

"Bored."

"Don't care, get outta my head." He growled and he could hear Kai mentally sigh, but he could tell the dragonblood was smiling.

"Goodnight Jaybird." He said and Jay felt himself go red and Kai mentally laughed. Remembering basic manners, the human quickly replied.

"Goodnight Kai."...