Exposed

The bustle of the city was alight with a new glow, as everyone drove or ran towards the massive dueling arena. Inside ancient silk, tapestries hung from every wall, showing amazingly realistic images of the greatest Ninjago warriors of all time. People noisily found their seats, the crowd falling silent as feedback blared through the speakers almost deafening everyone. When it finally died down, and warm old chuckle filled the arena.

"My apologizes to everyone, I'm a little shocked that I can finally show my face in public again." Cliff joked through the speakers as laughter rang out through the arena, and everyone looked towards the large screen. Cliff's face was projected clearly, a proud grin lightening his usually stern features. "If someone had told me a week ago that my son Jay would come first in the Dragonblood Training, well...I would've thrown them off the island on the next ship for fear they'd gone mad!" He exclaimed and more laughter, even though everyone knew he was telling the truth.

"I still say he cheated," Harumi muttered, only to be shushed by the other failed students.

"But still, here we are, and no one could be more surprised, or more proud than I am." Cliff beamed. "Today, Jay Gordon becomes a warrior in the war against dragonbloods; today, he becomes one of us!" He shouted with pride as cheering came from all directions, and hidden around the back awaiting his grand entrance, Jay swallowed nervously.

"No pressure..." A voice suddenly said as someone walked up behind him, and Jay was surprised to see Zane and Cole standing there.

"Be careful in there with that Shadow Dragonblood, Jay," Zane warned, worry clear on his pale face.

"It's not the dragonblood I'm worried about." He admitted.

"So what do you plan on doing?" Cole asked as he rolled his eyes at Jay's attitude, probably still in denial over the fact Jay had beat him the previous day. Jay had been asking himself the same question all last night, but only when Cole asked did he realize the answer.

"I...I need to prove that the dragonbloods aren't as dangerous as everyone believes, I have to prove that there's another way, besides killing them." He replied, but before either of them could comment, he continued with his attention falling to Zane. "Um... If anything goes wrong, I need you to promise that you'll make sure nothing happens to Kai."

"Sure, but you promise nothing's going to go wrong." He almost begged when Ed suddenly appeared, and he and Cole rushed off again like the white rabbit.

"It's time sonny-boy, have fun." The older man smiled warmly as he armed the teen with his mother's shield and a spear. Taking one last deep breath, he walked into the arena. Jay hadn't thought it possible, but the cheering somehow got louder as almost everyone in Ninjago started screaming his name. Feeling the effects of stage fright, Jay tightened his grip on the offered weapons and tried to swallow the lump in his throat. The crowd fell silent, and as the cage of which the Shadow Dragonblood inhabited creaked open, Jay almost jumped as a second voice suddenly filled his mind.

"Don't look at the Shadow Dragonblood directly, they'll feel intimidated and if that happens you'll be as good as dead." Kai's voice echoed throughout his terrified mind. "Since its daylight that with weaken their power and give you an advantage, just try and keep them in the light."

"How'd you know-"

"Shut up and don't die!" Kai mentally shouted and as he finished his sentence the cage swung open and before Jay even had a chance to blink, a large black dragon burst into the arena.

It flew around the arena for a few moments, trying to blend into the shadows, but thanks to all the light in the arena that was impossible. The beast roared and snarled at the crowd, before landing at the other side of the large dome. Jay's eyes widened in fear when he got a proper look at the Shadow Dragonblood. It looked like it had just crawled out of the deepest depths of hell. The beast had angry crimson eyes that sat rooted within the creature's long, thorny skull, which gave the dragonblood a very vicious looking appearance.