Chapter ⅫⅠ : Past and present

Past and present

For this chapter I would suggest listening to: 'Adapted by dark' by 'Hampus Naeselius'

--------------------------------------------------------------------

One's past doesn't define their present, we all have a path laid down in the Stars, and sometimes we try our hardest to avoid the set path, to change our fates, to change the outcome.

The moment a creature's first breath enters their lungs, the Stars have already have chosen a path for them. a person's own choices can lead them down different paths, but in the end, the Stars have a say in it all...

Ember wondered if the Stars had watched over her mother if the Stars had watched as her brother was slaughtered.

Sure, the Stars watched over everyone, but they do almost nothing about wrongdoings.

Ember let out a tired yawn. She sat up from her cot, the warm blanket falling off her shoulders. The small child slid off the cot, her feet touching the cold floor Ember made her way outside the tent stretching, the sun was barely over the top of the trees, the sky was a warm pink, almost the color of her own markings.

In the dim morning light, she saw her mother's small frame next to Achillean's they were gently talking while enjoying the warmth of the firepit.

Ember padded into view of both Ardoni, She smiled sadly at her mother, the adult Voltaris' eyes were now glassy and unfocused.

"Momma," the child whispered. She was then scooped up by the Voltaris the mother held her child close, Ember melted into her mother's warm embrace. Sure she had only been gone for a few days, but to the child, it had felt like years. During that time she had bonded with Achillean; even going as far as calling him 'Ada' an Ardoni word for father.

"You and Achillean get along?" Her mother's voice was quiet and sounded strained.

The child nodded, "yeah, he told me he liked you!" Ember exclaimed; she watched the Nestoris blush as he fumbled over his words.

Ember watched her mother kiss his cheek, effectively making him blush harder. She had never seen him so flustered.

Amaya laughed at his flustered expression. She seemed to be calm and at ease despite having been blinded and tortured in the Nether.

"is Achillean, my Ada now?" Ember asked.

Her mother laughed, hugging the child again. "Perhaps little one, we are still figuring things out,"

Ember nodded, satisfied with her mother's reply.

The child had never met her father, he had died shortly after she had been born, leaving Amaya to care for her children alone, though she had some help from the nicer Voltaris.

Ember thought back to one story her mother had told her.

"How did father die?" She remembered asking one day.

Her mother had been surprised at the question, but answered it, nonetheless.

"It had only been a few months since you had been born. Our small group was moving to another spot, deeper in the forest." The Voltaris set her knife down, bringing her whole attention to the story. "We had found a good spot, it was deep in the forest and there was a good food source nearby. We had only been there for a few days... then they found us." Ember guessed 'they' had meant the clans.

"I hid with you deep inside one of the caves many tunnels, while your father stood guard, we both thought we had hidden well, we were wrong" her mother paused taking a deep breath. "One champion had attacked me, and almost killed you, but your father had none of it. He fought the champion off; he barley was standing by the end," Amaya exhaled, "I had fled with you and your brother, as more Ardoni entered the cave, he died so we could live,"