Chapter Ⅷ: Storm

Storm.

Lightning cracked the sky, the blue and purple hues illuminated everything as rain poured from the clouds, getting anything and everything soaked.

Amaya sat holding her daughter, who was shaking from fear of the storm.

The mother had sung to her child in an attempt to calm her down.

"Just close your eyes,

the sun is going down

You'll be alright,

no one can hurt you now

Come morning light,

you and I'll be safe and sound

Just close your eyes, you'll be alright

Come morning light,

you and I'll be safe and sound"

Amaya softly hummed the rest of the song calming her daughter down, Amaya glanced over at Achillean's empty cot. He had woken up just that morning and had left to go get something

Amaya glanced up to see the tent door flap open. Achillean walked inside his side had been wrapped with clean gauze and his hair had been fixed, it wasn't as messy and unkempt as it had been.

A strike of lightning flashed in the sky behind Him a loud crack of thunder rumbled soon after. Amaya felt her daughter move closer to her, nuzzling into her side, as she trembled slightly.

Amaya pulled a blanket closer around her, making her child feel safer.

when Achillean had woken up Amaya felt relieved.

She had asked the stars for help.

He was the help they sent.

"Are you feeling better?" Amaya asked.

Achillean nodded poking at his side testing the wound. "Better.. just hurting is all,"

Amaya nodded, gesturing to the spot beside her.

Getting the hint Achillean moved to sit next to Amaya. the sound of the rain roared just above the roof of the tent. part of Amaya worried that the tent might collapse from the weight of the pooling rainwater, but it never caved in.

With Ember fast asleep on the Voltaris' lap, Amaya felt at peace, for once.

She leaned her head on Achillean's shoulder, feeling the warmth of his body heat mix with her own.

"I don't think I've ever thanked you for helping me and Ember," Amaya whispered, Achillean wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "There isn't a need, you have given me something I never thought I would find in this war."

"And what might that be?"

"Peace, and a closeness with you." He paused. "I do not yet understand what I feel, but it is a wonderful contrast to the pain I've felt because of this war."

...

Achillean nuzzled the top of Amaya's head, all of his worries had melted away in the moments he shared with her, for once he didn't have to worry about the war effort or what he was going to have to do next.

he could just be.. himself. not some war hero, not a champion.

Just Achillean.

hearing voices outside of the tent, he got up from his spot next to Amaya; feeling the cold penetrate his skin again.

He peered outside of the tent spotting the two Sendaris brothers bickering. like always. He sighed, shaking his head as he made his way over to them, shaking the exhaustion from his body.