Chapter 1

(Rileys Pov)

The rhythmic beeping of my alarm gradually pulls me from my slumber. Groggily, I reach over to turn it off. I let out a quiet sigh and sluggishly shuffle to the bathroom. My reflection greets me in the mirror, and I can't help but notice the messy tangle my hair has become overnight.

Turning on the shower, I let the water warm up before stepping under the spray. The hot water trickles down my body, the sensation both invigorating and comforting. As I lather shampoo in my hair, the scent of my favorite coconut shampoo envelops the small space, creating a cocoon of tranquility. I rinse it out, my fingers massaging my scalp in a luxurious motion.

After shampooing, I take a moment to carefully choose a fruity-scented body wash that invigorates my senses. The rich lather makes me feel refreshed, and as I wash off the suds, it's as though a layer of sleepiness is washed away with them.

With the shower complete, I step out onto the fluffy bath mat and wrap myself in a towel. As I rub my hair dry, I hear a familiar thumping sound coming from my closet. Today, it seems, is one of those days when finding the right outfit becomes an unexpected challenge.

Opening the closet door, I stare at the options before me. Jeans or a skirt? A bright top or a subdued one? It's funny how I always end up feeling like I have nothing to wear when my closet is practically bursting at the seams. After a bit of consideration, I settle on a pair of comfortable jeans and a light, grey hoodie that matches my mood for the day.

As I slip on the jeans, I glance at my reflection in the mirror again. My damp hair is a bit unruly, so I run a brush through it and opt for a simple ponytail. A swipe of lip balm and a touch of mascara is enough to make me feel put together without overdoing it. With one last look in the mirror, I give myself a nod of approval before heading out to face the day, feeling a bit more ready to take on the world.

 With one last look in the mirror, I give myself a nod of approval before heading out to face the day, feeling a bit more ready to take on the world

As I descend the stairs, I notice that Vinnie is the sole early riser. He appraises me from head to toe with a playful smirk, that mischievous jerk.

"You look good," he utters, punctuating his words with a wink.

"I know," I retort, helping myself to a generous glass of iced tea.

"Care to assist in waking up the rest of the bunch?" Vinnie inquires.

"Oh, absolutely," I respond, the icy beverage disappearing in a single gulp.

"Let's kick it off with Ryland, forever the sleepiest of the squad," Vinnie suggests, and together, we ascend the staircase.

"We should just pounce onto his bed; that's a surefire way to ruffle his feathers," I propose with a grin.

We infiltrate Ryland's room, and with Vinnie's countdown from three, we catapult onto his bed, shouting, "Wake up, Stormi!"

"Get outta my room, for real!" Ryland protests, attempting to nudge us off.

"Not before you join the land of the living, sleepyhead," Vinnie quips, and I dissolve into laughter.

"Next stop, Kio. A little splash will do him good," I declare, as we scamper downstairs to collect our water arsenal.

This time, we forgo the countdown, charging into Kio's room and dousing him with water. A jovial water battle ensues between Kio and Vinnie, the pinnacle of hilarity reached when Vinnie slips and plummets face-first into a colossal puddle on Kio's bed.

About 20 minutes later, we rendezvous in the kitchen for a communal breakfast – a cherished routine of ours. This morning, the menu features cereal with milk, and as we savor our meals, Ryland recounts a bizarre dream while the rest of us munch contentedly.

Amidst our laughter and shared moments, I catch a glimpse of Ryland's and Kio's outfits, each uniquely their own. Vinnie, forever stylish, dons a couple of outfits that showcase his distinctive flair.

"Alright, crew, time to hit the road," Ryland declares, clutching his car keys.

Skipping ahead to school

"Hey, girl," it's Mac, my best friend since freshman year.

"Hey, how's it going?" I inquire.

"Really good. Where's Nick?" Mac wonders.

"I'm not entirely sure. He's probably on his way," I speculate.

In the classroom, we slip into our usual seats at the back, just as the bell rings and Mr. Weston dashes in, clearly swamped with his usual tasks.

Skipping to lunch break

Ryland and the other boys occupy our table. Though teachers usually expect us to sit with our own classmates, Mac and I always join my big brother and his friends. Upon sitting, Vinnie snatches a morsel from my plate.

"Hey, V! That was mine," I protest, retaliating by pinching something from his dish.

"That's hardly fair," Vinnie protests, igniting my laughter.

"Settle down," Ryland interjects, triggering yet another round of laughter.

"There's something seriously off with this crew," Kio jests.

Skipping to after school

"I'm totally up for a swim when we get back home, anyone else?" Vinnie queries as we sit in the car.

"Hell yeah, I'm game," I affirm.

"Count me in," Nick chimes.

"Me three," Kio adds.

"Let's make it happen," Ryland concludes.

Back home, I slip into my bikini, a cherished green piece. Upon entering the living room, I find all the guys in their swimsuits, awaiting my presence.

"Looking fabulous," Vinnie remarks.

"Come on, Vinnie, that's my little sister," Ryland retorts, playfully shoving Vinnie.

"Thanks, Vinnie. I'm well aware," I retort with a smirk.