Chapter 15

We've frolicked in the water for what seems like an eternity, and now the sun begins its descent. We lay on a blanket, my head nestled on Vinnie's chest while my arms encircle his torso. Though exhaustion creeps in, the beauty of the sky captivates me. Vinnie brought along his favorite hoodie for me, knowing I'd get chilly. As I feel his muscles beneath the fabric, a giggle escapes me. "What?" Vinnie queries. "Nothing," I reply, snuggling closer. "Are you ready to go? We need to hit Starbucks before they close," he reminds me, prompting an excited squeal from me as I dart off to the car.

Finally winning our rock-paper-scissors game, I opt for a pink drink for myself and a violet one for Vinnie. "Damn, this one's amazing," Vinnie remarks, earning a laugh from me.

Skipping ahead to when we arrive home

As I step through the door, I'm met with worried looks from Kio, Ryland, and Nick. "What's going on?" I inquire. "You might want to go to Vinnie's room," Kio advises, and then I hear it—the loudest scream I've ever heard in my life. I can sense the pain in that scream as I rush to Vinnie's room. There, I find Jaden, pacing anxiously, his trembling hands and tear-soaked hoodie telling a story of their own. "Jaden?" I call out, and he collapses into my arms.

I rub his back, attempting to soothe him, but the tears keep flowing. "Jaden, what's wrong?" I ask gently. "My phone," he manages between sobs, and my heart sinks as I see the shattered screen displaying a painful image—his ex with another guy.

"That despicable woman," I mutter, enfolding Jaden in another embrace. "I loved her," he whispers, and my heart aches for him. "I know, Jaden," I say softly, trying to hold back my own tears.

We've been sitting on the floor for nearly twenty minutes now, Jaden half asleep in my lap. Following Vinnie's lead, I begin to play with his hair, hoping to offer some solace. Vinnie enters the room, taking in the sight of Jaden and the broken phone. "Can I join?" he asks, and I nod. He settles down on my other lap, and I find myself running my fingers through his hair too. We exchange a few words before Jaden starts to toss and turn as if caught in a nightmare.

Concerned, I glance at Vinnie. "Don't worry; he's probably dreaming about her. I remember having the worst dreams after my first breakup," he reassures me, easing my anxiety a bit. "How could you do it?" Jaden murmurs in his sleep, his voice cracking, and a tear glistens in his eye. Unable to bear it, I gently shake him awake. "You saved me," he whispers in a small voice. "Please try to sleep again," I urge, resuming my hair-play comfort.

"Can you hold my hand?" Jaden asks, and I glance at Vinnie, who nods in agreement. "Of course," I reply, intertwining our fingers. He squeezes my hand intermittently, but soon, I hear soft snores emanating from both boys, indicating that sleep has claimed them.

Feeling exhausted myself, yet unable to move, I decide to FaceTime Kio.

A knock on the door interrupts our moment, and Ryland enters. "Can you carry Jaden to the car and drive him to Sway? He's in a deep sleep; he won't notice," I request. Ryland gently lifts Jaden from my lap, and I awaken Vinnie as we prepare to retire for the night.

Skipping ahead to the next day

I wake up without Vinnie beside me, quickly changing into my outfit for the day. Descending the stairs, I find Ryland and Vinnie waiting. "Don't worry; he made it home safely and slept in his bed," Ryland informs me. "That's a relief. Thanks, Stormi," I express, taking a seat beside him. "Actually, we have something to tell you," Vinnie interjects. "What's that?" I inquire. "Stormi, Kio, Nick, and I are going on a business trip this weekend, so you'll have the house to yourself, if that's okay," Vinnie explains. "It's fine," I reply.

Secretly planning the craziest party in my mind, I rally everyone to head out before we're late for school.

________________________________

hey guyssssss, yay new chapter

remember to vote and comment

<Laura>