TWENTY

Masha's parents, Erin and Jeff, were quite old fashioned - well, it was quite obvious because they both were almost 70 years old. Erin was the oldest sister of Catherine's dad, there was a lot of difference between the two. While Erin and Jeff were old fashioned, their youngest daughter Masha, who was 30 years old, was a freak digital device. And Catherine sat between them; the newest laptop, high tech gadgets, but also a huge fan of newspapers, paper books, she wasn't up to date with the latest phones since she still used an iPhone 5s.

"You know how this phone works, right?" Erin asked when she pointed at the rotary dial telephone.

Catherine smirked and nodded. "Yes, of course."

"Just asking," Erin chuckled. "Anyway, the phone book is under the table. Masha is in the city and will be back in a few hours, Jeff and I will visit some friends. I think we will be back by tonight or perhaps tomorrow. If you need anything, just call."

"And what about the costs?"

Erin smiled. "No worries, we have a package for calling to outside of Finland."

"Thanks," Catherine said. "Have fun at your friends." Catherine sat down on the huge, comfortable chair.

"Take care of yourself." Erin gave her niece a nod and left the house with her husband.

Catherine took a deep breath and grabbed the phone book. Who should she call? She wanted to speak to George, but also to her parents. Catherine didn't want to be a bother by calling them both. She grabbed a blanket and wrapped it around herself. Her knees were pulled up against her chest. Catherine flipped through the pages of the phone book and ended up at the Russell family page. She dialled George's number and waited.

"Well," Catherine sighed disappointedly when she couldn't reach George. "Fine," she muttered. She dialled her dad's number, but it failed. "Come on," she said and tried putting his phone number into the rotary dial telephone. "How could people live with this? I'm lost after entering two digits," she asked herself.

"Yes?" The voice of her dad filled his ears.

A smile grew on Catherine's lips. "Hey, dad," she said.

"Hello, Ted," the trusted voice said. "How are you doing in snowy Finland?"

"It is cold."

He laughed. "No, shit, Sherlock."

"Just saying," Catherine smirked. "No, it is beautiful. The snow gives it something magical. It's very calming here."

"That's good," dad satisfied said. "And how are you doing? How is your arm?"

She took a deep breath and sat more comfortable in the chair by relaxing her muscles. "I'm okay," she softly said. "I can find peace in my head now, and I'm not that stressed anymore. It's like I'm starting to accept all of it. My arm is fine, a bit itchy sometimes, but it's just a trouble first class. I can't do a thing. How are you? And mum?"

"Yeah, that sucks... It's part of the healing process," he replied. "I'm fine, mum is fine too. She's visiting some friends now, I'm just chilling with Simba."

Catherine's face softened. "Oh, my god, Simba. How is he?" Simba was the dog of Catherine's parents.

"Simba is thrilled now I'm calling you."

"Can you give him a cuddle for me, please?" Catherine closed her eyes. A smirk rolled over her lips when she heard Simba breathing heavily in the phone. "Hello, love."

"He misses you. We all miss you, Ted."

It was silence from Catherine's side, and she nodded. "I know," she whispered. "I miss you too."