THIRTYSIX

Catherine put a crisp in her mouth and looked at the TV. Being in sick leave from her job was getting boring. At this point in her life, she didn't know what to do anymore to fill up the free time. Catherine used to work full days and then she would complain she didn't have enough free time, now it was special if she had an appointment or had to go to the supermarket. She even read every book she bought over the years, she finally had time for it. The recovery time was boring to her.

However, Thursday evening was self-care evening. Catherine had a facial mask on her face, shaved her legs, did a hair mask, and painted her nails. She just finished watching Lupin and started a new show: Bridgerton.

Her phone began to ring. Catherine sighed annoyed, who dared to call her on her self-care evening? She paused the show and grabbed her phone, only to see Callum was calling her. A soft smile curved on her face, well, she couldn't smile due to the face mask. She didn't mind getting a call from Callum. She accepted the call and put it on the loudspeaker.

"Hey," Catherine said.

"Hello," Callum said happily. "Am I disturbing you?"

"No, no, not at all." Actually, he was, but it was Callum and Callum meant something to her.

"Okay," he said and smiled. "I'm in the neighbourhood, can I stop by?" Callum walked to his car from his parents' house. "Only if you don't mind, of course."

"Yes, sure, that would be fun."

"Cool. I'll be there in ten."

"See you in ten," Catherine smiled. "Bye."

Callum closed the car door and started the engine. "See you soon."

Catherine ended the call and threw her phone on the couch next to her. She looked at the outfit she was wearing; crap, changing from a crackhead to a normal human being within ten minutes was a real challenge. Catherine got up from the couch and ran to the bathroom to get the mask off her face. After washing the mask off her face, she changed; the old oversized hoodie and joggers made way for a nice, warm top and jeans. Callum may already have seen her in some awful stages, she didn't want to look like a homeless person to him.

Because Catherine already did her skincare routine, she didn't want to do it all over again tonight. She popped on some mascara and face cream. Her skin didn't look flawless, but she didn't really care about it now. It was quarter to ten, meaning Callum should arrive by now. Catherine put her hair in a bun and made sure the living room looked clean.

The bell rang.

It was a race against the clock, but Catherine made it on time. She opened the door downstairs and opened the front door. Before Callum arrived at her apartment, she looked in the mirror to have a look at herself. Oh, perfume. Catherine quickly sprayed some perfume on her neck.

Callum knocked on the already opened door and pushed it more open. "Hey."

"Hey," Catherine smiled and stepped towards him. She gave him a kiss. "How are you?"

"I'm good," he answered and gave her another kiss. "And you?" Callum took off his coat and shoes.

"Better now I see you," she shyly said, but it was true.

Callum locked his eyes with Catherine's eyes. "You look beautiful," he complimented.

The corners of her mouth curled up, and she scanned Callum's outfit, it was just a casual outfit, but it looked good on him. "You too," she said and walked back to the living room. "Uhm... Make yourself at home. Do you want anything to drink?"