Chapter Twenty-eight 1/2: The old days

"Y-Yeah, I take care of him all the time, I see him as a little brother." A tiny tanned boy with raven hair sputtered, making a girl with black hair and red eyes laugh. The boy blushed and adjusted his hold on a blonde baby with whiskered cheeks. "The kid's growing fast though, he would be walking if he weren't so intent on sleeping." The boy said, lightly scratching the sizable head of hair on the small child. The girl's interest seemed to peek when the boy slowly awoke, revealing his big blue eyes.

"They're just like Minato-sensei's were, his face looks like his mom's though."the girl said fondly, lightly poking at the little one, who giggled and grabbed her dainty finger. "Aww, I hope when I have kids they're as darling as you!" The girl cooed, making the boy blush heavily. "Well, Asuma, I think Naruto really likes you." She said, but then turned her attention back to the babbling baby.

"Asa...amsa!" The boy giggled, reaching his chubby hands to the face of the boy holding him. "Asua!" The baby yelled with determination, only for it to be replaced with what could only be described as a tiny scowl. "Amusa..." the boy huffed, making the girl realize what he was trying to do, the boy still drew a blank. "Asu...mah" the boy said before turning to the boy with a huge smile. "Asu-mah!" The boy chirped, startling the boy.

"Y-Yeah, I'm Asuma, this is Kurenai, and you're Naruto." The boy said with a warm smile, bouncing the boy a little. "Already talking and walking, you trying to set a record, kid?" He said lightly, making the little blonde giggle. Kurenai watched the scene unfold with a fond smile.

Unbenounced to them, however, Hiruzen watched from outside his house window, knowing that the fast progress ment faster action. He knew that the minute the boy was smart enough he would have to live on his own. He let out a sad sigh before turning to the three assassins that were once alive and ready to torture the children for information once they opened the front door.

"Forgive me, Minato, Asuma, Kushina. I know none of you would wish solitude on your son but my family's and the boy's health comes before their feelings." The man muttered gruffly before sealing the corpses in a scroll and giving it to an ANBU to dispose of.

He entered the large house, met with cheerful greetings and an excited "jiji!" From a tiny blonde. Hiruzen walked over to the children and gently ruffled Naruto's hair.

'Forgive me, Naruto.' He thought to himself, staring deep into wide blue eyes, happy as he would ever see them anywhere in the future.
_______________________________________

Hey! This isn't really a chapter, but I thought I'd write a little tidbit of Naruto's backstory to make up for my inconsistent writing schedule. Thank you!
~Gracie