Chapter Four: A Fox's Kindness

Previously:

"Can you turn around for a second, please" Naruto said in a grim tone that spoke everything unsaid.

Now:

I turned around, I know what he's gonna do, snap its neck so it won't have to suffer, there's nothing that can be done. No way to save it, we're too far in the woods. No--'
My thoughts were yet again cut off with a warm feeling, warmer than anything I had ever felt. It was...chakra? I turned around only to see Naruto now holding a fully healed black fox in his slightly bloody hands. The fox was sleeping peacefully and was most definitely alive, curled into Naruto's chest and arms. 'He looks so beautiful' I thought before I had the chance to stop myself. I regretted the thought, trying to remember all the times he was annoying and I hated him, but my mind drew a blank. 'I never really hated him, I've never really minded him. He wasn't that annoying, just passionate, and his pranks were kinda funny and very well thought out.' 'WHAT AM I THINKING???'.

My face was hot and all I managed to say was "troublesome blonde" before making my way back from where we came from.

"Sorry, we're gonna have to walk, I'm kinda tired" he said as he started walking to catch up with me.

I looked back and noticed that he was indeed tired, he didn't look like that when we found the fox 'So was that warm chakra his? How did he know healing jutsu to that extent? How did he heal the fox so fast? If he planned on healing the fox, why did he have me turn around?' It seemed for every question that was solved, a dozen more took its place. This was troublesome.

But maybe I need a little trouble in my life.

Authors POV

Shikamaru headed back with Naruto and Kage the fox, Naruto chatting away about sage knows what and Shikamaru holding on to every word.

When the 2 boys finally got back to the clearing with the foxes, Kage awoke only to tackle a startled Naruto, licking his face. The other foxes joined the black one in licking and cuddling the poor blonde who was left pinned. Shikamaru sat down and watched fondly as the foxes affectionately assaulted him. But then Kage, the little shadow fox, went over to inspect the Nara. After deeming him safe, she curled up in his lap to continue sleeping.

After a while the other foxes settled down to just curling up into Naruto's oversized jumpsuit, leaving him lying down and glancing over at Shikamaru.

"She reminds me of you, ya know" Naruto said, looking at the tiny shadow fox lying in his friend's lap.

"Is it because she's napping?" Shikamaru said, fake offended.

"Nah, it's because she cares. She was outside the hunting grounds leading a predator away from the other foxes, that's why she was injured. She may be a bit lazy but she's clever and loyal, putting others before herself" Naruto spoke, in a soft and fond voice, staring at the sleeping fox. Shikamaru was silent. No one had ever praised him like that, and the fact that Naruto had done so, so casually and without hesitation, made Shikamaru redder than a tomato and he felt his eyes prickle with happy tears.

Naruto leaned his head back against the ground and looked up at Shikamaru before adding: "and yeah, because she likes naps" in a half mocking tone.

Shikamaru used his hands to try to stifle a laugh, which didn't work as he ended up bursting out laughing anyways, which made Naruto laugh. They both laughed, Shikamaru couldn't remember the last time he laughed so hard for almost no reason, and Naruto had never laughed so hard. Shikamaru laid down next to Naruto and they both kept laughing while looking up at the sky. Laughing turned to chuckles, chuckles turned to talking and talking turned to silence as hours went by, just enjoying eachothers company without a care in the world. Which was refreshing for the young Nara.

After it turned dark Naruto walked Shikamaru home, waving him goodbye as the raven disappeared behind Nara gates.

Shika POV

I walked into the compound, happier than I'd been in so long and humming Naruto's ramen song as I came to my front door. I walked in, I walked taller than usual and was greeted by my very confused mother.

"What are you humming?" My mother asked gently, she seemed nervous, but I guess that's to be expected when you've locked yourself in your room for 2 weeks.

"Oh, just this silly ramen song I heard from a friend" I said before realizing what I was doing.

"A friend, you say, I've never heard you call Choji or Ino 'friend', so is it someone new?" She asked with excitement in her tone, she was happy I wasn't acting like sludge today I guessed.

"Well yeah, I've known him for a while but we only just made friends" I expressed fondly as a smile couldn't help but crawl into my face and a slight blush along with it.

Nobody's POV

Yoshino knew. Yoshino knew Naras and she just knew her son found a crush. She may not have been Nara level genius, but she knew her son. Then she remembered how her son said "him". She now owed her husband 800 ryo ($10).

Yoshino closed her son into a tight hug, and to her surprise, he hugged her back.

"I'm sorry mom, I shouldn't have been such a drag..." he mumbled into her shoulder. Before she could get another word out, Shikaku walked in on the scene. He was absolutely dumbfounded as his son was never really the hugging type. Yoshino turned her head toward her husband, not releasing the hug and mouthed 'I'll pay you later'. Shikaku let out a shit-eating grin before hugging his wife and his son.