5 | Shut-In [1/2] - Iida x Todoroki

Warnings:
Abuse, mute character, homophobia, suicide attempt(s), self-harm. This story is not intended to promote or encourage these actions/behaviors.

[First-Person]
Tenya Iida

I won't deny that the beginning of a new school year is thoroughly exhilarating, but what demarcates this year—my second year at U.A.—from the rest is that Shoto Todoroki is transferring here through recommendations. I knew him only for a year from middle school before he transferred to another school, but in that epoch was our unlikely friendship formed. After Todoroki was plunged into a new school, we would share occasional conversations over text, but such pleasant conversations were soon to be abraded by our own lives. So, to now be able to see Todoroki again, I can't help but crack a smile.

However, the first day of school arrives, and Todoroki is absent. A day evolves into two, and two to three, and before long, a week has passed, and Todoroki has not attended class. This week is my marker that I've set to pluck up the confidence to inquire as to what's going on with Todoroki from him himself—he is jeopardizing his attendance, grades, and his opportunities to learn and strengthen himself, but he's also worrying me quite heavily.

Once class concludes for the day—many have been curious about where Todoroki has been as well, but Aizawa has yet to provide us with any definitive answers—I return to my dorm and begin to text one of the contacts I have that I last spoke to over two years ago.

Todoroki has always been punctual, studious, and committed, so it's difficult to believe that he would simply skip class, I think to myself while pondering what I should text to Todoroki. And, knowing Endeavor, Todoroki would surely have been punished for attempting such a heinous act. Skipping class is a great offense! Although he never directly informed me of how his father treated him, he always answered my questions before I could ask. I would want to ask how he received another abrasion, contusion, bandage, etcetera, but he would often say that he had done something wrong or messed up—that was all. It was...saddening. I still remember dressing his wounds in the mornings. Then he transferred to a different school. He never moved, but he was adamant about no one being welcome at his house. So...what's going on, Todoroki?

Me: Greetings, Todoroki. Long time no see, yes? I'd like to ask if you are all right, and, if I may, why you have not attended class for the past week.

Mere moments later, Todoroki begins to type.

Todoroki: Yeah, it's been a while, Iida. I'm good, but I can't tell you why I haven't been in class. Sorry.

That's a relief—he's alive and doing well. But I'm not certain of how to interpret his secretiveness.

Me: That's all right. Then, what have you been up to as of late?

Todoroki: Thanks. I'm not sure, though. Nothing that would be important or exciting to you. What about you?

That's...a bit peculiar. I would have thought something drastic transpired to decimate your attendance like this. Unless you don't want to bring it up.

Me: Oh, I highly doubt I would see it as unimportant. About me, though, I've recently gotten back into my studying habits. I would presume you find that to be either insignificant or unexciting.

Todoroki: I don't think it's insignificant. That's good. I thought you were always studying around the clock.

Me: That would lead to poor health. Speaking of which! Have you been maintaining your health well?

Todoroki: Yeah. I did say I'm good.

Me: Good to hear that, Todoroki. Thank you for the wonderful conversation. It was nice to talk to you again. I'll take my leave, but you can expect another message from me sometime soon.