Epilogue: Avengers...Assemble?

"Thor, it's nice to see you back! How was Asgard?" you asked curiously.

"Well aside from a few hiccups all is well m'lady," the man smiled at you fondly and you went in to give him a tight hug.

"By a few hiccups he means an invasion," Tony clarified and you shook your head with a chuckle, always the heroes making their work seem like nonsense.

"So are we really going to do this?" Clint asked. "Getting back the sceptre could be a bigger task than we signed up for,"

"If it's with HYDRA then we have to get it back," Steve said adamantly. "We can't let them hurt any more people than they already have and we already know how dangerous that thing is."

"Well if Cap says so we're all in," Natasha nodded. "Plus I wouldn't mind giving a few of them a good punch or two,"

"Maybe a bullet while you're at it," you said with a cheekily raised brow and she nodded in admittance.

"That settles it then, we gather intel when we find a HYDRA base make a plan then raid it," Steve instructed and the team nodded.

Your phone started to buzz in your pocket and when you saw Maria's number come up on your screen you excused yourself from the group and went over to the side of the room to take the call.

"(Y/N)?"

"Yeah, it's me," you said quietly into the receiver. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing, it's just something's come up and Fury and I think it would be best if you knew just in case anything goes wrong."

"Maria, what's going on, the last time you called me like this was to give me bad news,"

"It's not bad news, but you're still going to hate me for it."

"Spit it out then," you said impatiently.

"SHIELD is still running, they're only doing covert missions and staying in the shadows, but in case something happens to the new director we need you on the line."

"Who's the new director?"

"This is the part that's going to make you hate me."

"Maria quit stalling,"

There was a shaky breath on the other side of the line and finally, faintly, you heard,

"It's Coulson... He's alive."