Chapter 9: Stay

"Another hearing? I thought we were done with these?" you groaned and sat down at your desk, flipping through the new file.

"Don't worry I've got the best lawyers lined up for you," Tony explained. "And if Cap shows up I think you're in for a win."

"You sure? We've already paid about 30 million in reparations to the government for destroying public property."

"(Y/N) don't kid yourself, I paid 30 million," Tony shot back and you shook your head with a chuckle. "Look (Y/N) are you sure you don't want to take the job here? We've known each other for ages, we'll treat you decently, I promise." he joked, taking a seat next to you.

"As much as I'd love to Tony, I can't." you pressed your lips in a thin line. "I can't commit to staying here all the time, Steve, Sam and I, we're kind of up and about, you know that."

"Fine then, how about a consulting job. For security, you can work with Maria," he suggested.

"Tones you're a sweetheart," you smiled softly and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "I'll think it over and let you know."

"Okay, I'll take it," he nodded and patted your shoulder as he stood up to leave the room, just as Sam was entering.

"Wilson, what's good?" you asked, turning your chair to face the door where he stood.

"I've got a surprise," he grinned and motioned for you to follow him. With furrowed brows you got out of your seat, bringing the file with you because last time the surprise was 'come and sit in on this hearing I have to go to'. So you figured you'd get a little work done if you could.

But when Sam brought you out to the living room and you saw a familiar redhead bickering with Steve about God knows what and you didn't hesitate to run up to her and tackle her in a bone-crushing hug pressing a smacking kiss to her cheek.

"You absolute dick!"

"What happened to only bad-mouthing people when they mess with your sleep?"

"People change," you chuckled and hugged her tighter. "Two months I've been waiting to hear from you and nada. It sucks living with boys,"

"Tell me about it," Pepper muttered while walking into the kitchen and all three of you laughed.

"Okay, we need to catch up and grab some drinks tonight before my life turns into an absolute hell," you motioned to the file still in your hands.

"Steve, Sam, you going to join?" Natasha asked.

"Sorry, leading a VA meeting tonight, they transferred me up here when they heard I was moving." Sam nodded.

"And I have a date with the laundry machine," Steve sighed and you chuckled.

"Is there some sort of inside joke I'm supposed to understand?" Natasha asked.

"(Y/N)'s got Steve doing her laundry to make up for almost dying," Sam explained.

"Well have fun with that then," Natasha chuckled. "Shall we?"

"Sure, just let me grab my wallet and put this away." you nodded and walked back to your bedroom.

Because of work you and Natasha had already been on many long-term assignments to New York and it was practically a second home. So it was no question what bar you'd be visiting.

"So," Natasha started as you sat down with your first round of drinks. "Life been crazy?"

"Not really, lots and lots of court hearings," you sighed and took a sip. "We haven't been able to move around much because of it. Just a lot of destruction of public property."