Chapter 5: I'm Not Ready for That

Steve grabbed Sitwell by the shirt collar and threw him across the roof,

"Tell me about Zola's algorithm," he said while you and Natasha followed behind him.

"Never heard of it," he lied and all three of you rolled your eyes.

"What were you doing on the Lemurian Star?" you asked, coming next to Steve.

"Throwing up, I get seasick,"

"Stop with the bullshit." Natasha spat while Steve picked up Sitwell and forced him to the edge of the rooftop.

"Is this little act supposed to insinuate that you're going to throw me off? Cause it's really not your style Rogers," he smirked while Steve brought him back quickly, gently letting him go and patting his arms.

"Yeah, you're right," he said softly. "It's not. But it is theirs."

And almost as if you'd done it a hundred times before you and Natasha both set a direct kick to his gut, launching him off the side of the building.

There was a small silence, only filled by Sitwell's cry for help before Natasha piped up.

"How about that girl from accounting? Laura?"

"Lillian," you corrected, not even sure why you bothered at that point. Maybe that was because a small part of you wondered if he might ask you out for a cup of coffee, but right now dating was the least of your worries.

"Oh yeah, lip piercing?" Steve nodded and you confirmed.

"She's cute, right?" Natasha nodded.

"Yeah, I'm not ready for that." Steve shook his head and you didn't bother to hide a laugh, slightly relieved, while Sam brought a screaming Sitwell back to the roof in the Falcon suit you managed to easily steal from the secure facility where it belonged.

"Zola's algorithm! It's a program... for choosing insight's targets." Sitwell finally said, out of breath, kneeling on the roof.

"What targets?' Steve asked.

"You! All three of you! A TV anchor in Cairo, the Undersecretary of Defense, a high school valedictorian in Iowa City. Bruce Banner, Stephen Strange, anyone who's a threat to HYDRA! Now, or in the future."

"How can it know the future?" you asked. "As far as I'm aware psychics are still a hoax."

"How could it not? The 21st century is a digital book. Zola taught HYDRA how to read it."

All three of you looked at him in confusion and he sighed.

"Your bank records, medical histories, voting patterns, e-mails, phone calls, your damn SAT scores. Zola's algorithm evaluates people's past to predict their future," he explained.

"And then what?" Sam asked.

"Oh my God, Pierce is gonna kill me," Sitwell said, nervously inching away before Steve came closer in front of him and angrily said,

"What then?!"

"Then the Insight helicarriers scratch people off the list. A few million at a time."

"HYDRA doesn't like leaks," Sitwell said nervously while you pushed him back further into his seat.

"So why don't you stick a cork in it," Sam said while continuing on route to the Triskelion.

"Insight's launching in sixteen hours, we're cutting it a bit close here," Natasha noted and Steve nodded in acknowledgement.