Chapter 7: Dammit Rogers

"Almost there," you nodded while Steve held off a few rogue agents on the alpha helicarrier. "Got it!" you exclaimed and quickly turned around, covering Steve's back and finally having a moment of peace. "Alpha locked," you said through the comm while jumping down the ledge to meet Steve.

"Okay, one more to go," Steve nodded as you came up next to him.

"Yeah," you nodded.

You felt a lump grow in your throat and you didn't know what to do about it. You knew you had to get back to Natasha and Fury, but you felt something, in your bones, you felt something bad. So you needed to say goodbye to Steve.

"Steve wait," you said quietly before he walked off.

"(Y/N) I've gotta go, we only have so much time,"

"No, Steve," you shook your head, walking up to him and gently placing a hand on his cheek. Every fibre of your being wanted to pull him in, press your lips to his, tell him how much you wanted him there, how much you needed him to stay safe.

"(N/N)," he whispered while you unclipped his helmet and slipped it off his head so you could look at him.

"Don't do anything stupid, please," you begged. "Please,"

Steve nodded and pulled you in for a tight hug, lingering maybe a moment longer than he should have, pressing a kiss to your cheek, letting himself rest there a moment before pulling away.

"Stay safe (Y/N)," he nodded, pulling away from you and taking his helmet, placing it back on his head. 

You bit your lip and moved quickly through the helicarrier, calling Sam through the comms.

"Hey man, I need a ride!" you said, taking trust in Sam and jumping off the helicarrier. He caught you, mid freefall and brought you to the helicopter landing pad and you quickly ran into the building meeting Natasha, Fury, and Pierce.

You could hear Pierce talking, giving some speech supposedly showing how it was all justified,

"Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago. Diplomacy? Holding action, a band-aid. And you know where I learned that; Bogota. You didn't ask, you just did what had to be done. I can bring order to the lives of seven billion people by sacrificing twenty million. It's the next step, Nick, if you have the courage to take it."

"No he has the courage not to," you nodded and pointed the gun at him, "Scan it, Pierce."

With guns pointed to him, Pierce obeyed the orders and said,

"You know we took your retinal scan off the system."

"Pierce you have to learn, if you want to stay ahead of me," Fury lifted his eyepatch. "You're gonna have to keep both eyes open."

"Natasha, are you sure about this?" you double checked before she gave the final confirmation.

"Yeah, it's what we have to do." she nodded and you gave her a sympathetic look.

"Maria, how are things coming?" you asked over the comm.

"Steve's on the helicarrier and Sam's grounded. Headed after Rumlow who's going after the council."

"Okay, I'm heading down to help."

You ran out and down a few floors and met up with Sam who had just run into Rumlow.

"This is gonna hurt. There are no prisoners with HYDRA, just order. And order only comes through pain. Are you ready for yours?"

"Man, shut the hell up," Sam frowned and as they went after each other you slipped in and fired a warning shot for Sam so he could get out of the way and so you could shoot Rumlow in the leg, incapacitating him.