Six: The White Light

The air whistled around me, wind biting at my clothes and the harsh breeze trying to knock me into the side of the mountains. Grace screamed over the com link, "ARE YOU INSANE VENUS?!"

Maybe? The kite wings in the staff snapped out, my hands grabbing onto the top rods while putting my feet on the bottom holes. Air caught under the kite, pushing me up into the air. My body spinning lightly and I broke over the cloud cover; the sunlight hitting my skin. Beautiful... I've missed this kind of view.

I could almost feel Leva smirking at my thoughts, sitting in the back of my mind in victory. There was a sound of an animal, my eyes looking down curiously to see what kind of animal. But when I looked down, I made a mistake. The fear struck my chest, gripping onto my lungs. Echoing sounds of screams, gunshots, and cries surrounded me.

My body felt as if I was going numb, felt as if I couldn't breath. The kite slipped from my grip as I fell to the ground the clouds. Air whistled around me once again, my eyes lidded and threatening to close. Grace yelled as I fell past the helicopter. "Venus? Venus! I need you to answer me! VENUS!"

I couldn't answer her if I wanted to... My eyes fell shut, everything going dark as I heard the screeching sound of a beast. Am I going to die?

"You shouldn't have looked down."

"Venus." My body paused at hearing the elder's voice, looking over at him curiously. The wind nipped at my clothes a I was standing next to one of the openings, ready to jump. "I wanted to speak to you."

"What about?"

"I've noticed how you've been acting to our guests." Guests... They do not act like guests... Walking around like they own the place, demanding us to do things for them as if we were their servants, getting mad at us for doing our customs. "They've been treating us like dirt elder. As if we're below them and we're Wind Clan, we're below no one."

I tried to reason with him, trying to get him to see my point of view by saying his own lessons back to him. The elder has been instilling that statement in all of our lessons. But it didn't do the trick... Time to be myself. "Elder, me and Leva know that something is wrong. The aura they give off... it screams danger."

"I'm sorry, Leva? There's no student named L- Is that your Espirt?" The elder asked me and my thumb moved against my index finger nervously, making him sigh. That would be my telltale. It happens every time I have to lie. "This is why we won't listen to you Venus. You can't take anything seriously, you act like a child-"

"I am being serious elder. Their aura... They're planning something, something dangerous. I know-"

"That's enough, I don't want to hear about this again." I stared at him in shock, staring at the hand he held up. Betrayal started to deep in my stomach, knotting. He glared at me. "Am I understood Venus?"

I acted quickly, dropping backwards from the ledge and spinning. The kite wings snapped out as I grabbed the rod with one hand, the other arm rubbing at my eyes. A couple of socked gasps were heard as I guided the with one hand. When I was home, I was one of the best flyers. Now look at me...

There was the sound of the Na'vi's language echoing in my ear. I only understood one word. Safe... The voice was gentle and everything around me was white; but not a blinding white. More of a soft glow.