Fifteen: Let Her Die

Let her die. I thought coldly, watching the way that Jake carried Grace toward the tree of souls. She was looking around in wonder, her body and soul weak. Tsu'tey's eyes looked to me when I stood up, moving to Sun. "Sweetheart?"

"I just need a moment, I can't watch this." I said while climbing onto Sun's back, the palulukan lowering his body for me to climb on easier. Tsu'tey spared a glance to Mo'at before holding out his hand. "May I join?"

I smile, nodding, holding onto his hand. He smiled, climbing on behind me and wrapping his arms around my waist. Resting his chin on my shoulder and leaning his head against me, Sun carefully walking between the others in clan before leaving. "Thank you... For being okay."

He whispered, holding onto me lightly. My head turned a bit to look back at him, he seemed a bit... dazed. Lost in his thoughts. This has happened a couple of times since the falling of Home Tree, I've noticed him holding me more and seeming to remind himself that I'm okay. "Tsu... Is everything alright?"

I asked gently, worried about him. He's never been this distraught before... He knows I'm fine, but it seems like he's been forgetting it sometimes and I've noticed him thinking I'm gone.

Tsu'tey winced, hand tightening lightly around my waist. His face scrunching up in distraught, panicked breathing beginning to come from him. Groaning in pain, his head shaking lightly. "No... Sylwanin..."

He's been having nightmares since that day. I had thought maybe it was from the Home Tree, but I don't remember anyone named Sylwanin in the tribe... His head buried in my neck, letting out a shaky breath. "It's just... when I was younger, I lost someone I really cared about to the sky people."

He whispered, pulling me closer to him. There was some wetness along my skin, my hand gently covering his larger one. "I can't lose you Venus, I can't. If-if I lose you... I don't know what I'll do."

"I'm not going anywhere Tsu." I turned my head lightly to press my lips against his cheek. Tears clumped his eyelashes, his eyes a little puffy; staring at my with a bit of a hazed look. This was really worrying him... "You're stuck with me love."

He smiled at hearing that, laughing a bit and gently brushing his thumb along my cheek. Sun stopped walking as I looked away, this seemed like a good place... "What are you doing love?"

"Honoring." I said, climbing off of Sun's back and feeling the pain in my leg. Tsu'tey slid off, putting an arm around my shoulder while looking at me worriedly. "You're gonna make your leg worse if you keep agitating it. Why don't we go back so you can rest?"

"Because they're there... I don't trust them Tsu'tey."

"I know... I don't either, but we need someway to protect our home." He said with wrapping both arms around me, hugging me close. I can't stay mad at him... I sighed while shaking my head lightly, leaning back against him. "We've already lost too many people Tsu'tey."

I said, turning in his arms and cupping his cheeks. He closed his eyes, leaning into my touch and sighing lowly. "We have... Why do those sky people want to hurt us so...?"

"Because they're creatures of greed." I whispered, tilting his head down lightly to press my forehead against his. He closed his eyes, letting out a small sigh. "What shall we do for a home?"

"I don't know yet..." I answered honestly, lowering my hands and making my way to the middle of the field I had found. Tsu'tey made his way over next to me, sitting besides me. "So, what are we honoring?"

We... That would made me smile a bit, looking over at him lightly before I took a deep breath. "The ones we lost in the fall."

That had dual meaning, I never got to honor the ones I lost in the fall. My original home and now we lost our home tree. A soft hum came from my lips, arms moving in a small circle as I spun. Tsu'tey watched me, looking at me curiously. "You're... dancing?"