Fourteen: Tree Of Life

There was... softness when I opened my eyes, feeling like I was alone. It felt like my chest was tightening, not liking the feeling of being alone. My eyes fluttered, that tightening feeling beginning to crush my lungs.

"Venus!"

I tried to wake up, hearing what sounded a voice I don't recognize but seemed familiar. Gunshots rung in my head, different screaming, Pandora and Enterne.

"Run!!"

Grass dug between my fingers, my head turning to the side with my face scrunching in pain. The fire crackling was loud, my throat beginning to feel like it was get tight.

"Wake up!"

My eyes opened sharply, gasping in pain and sitting up. Everything spun, my body swaying to the left before falling to the side back to the ground. Air was coming in little, short breaths as I stared wide eyed ahead. It felt like I could feel my heart beat against my chest, the rhythmic pounding in my eardrums.

It was dark, shaded where I was. The air was cooler, the grass I was laying on was a little damp as I slowly sat back up once I got breathing under check. It was a smaller space, roots crawling over the wall. My hands pressed against the wall, gripping onto the roots and feeling the dirt sticking to my skin as I used it to pull myself up.

Who was that voice I heard near the end... I thought to myself, pain shooting up my leg when I tried to take a step. My body crashing back into the ground, gasping in pain and my fist hitting the ground harshly. A numb running up my arm from hitting the nerves accidentally against the root sticking up.

"Baby?" My eyes lifted up, seeing a hazy Tsu'tey standing there. He quickly ran over to me, pulling me up to his lap and press his hand against my cheek. My head leaning against his palm. "It's so good to see your eyes again love, I was so worried about you."

He whispered, leaning down to press his forehead against mine. My head lightly nudged against him and he eased me to stand, keeping his arm around my waist. "Come, they're worried about you."

Who...? I thought curiously as he helped me walk out this little space. Everything was bright, my body wincing and free hand trying to cover my eyes while I buried my head in his shoulder. A small hiss came from me, the brightness making my stomach twist queasy. "Look, she's awake."

"Venus, how are you feeling?"

"Come, you need to eat."

"Here, some extra salves for your leg." Women's voices bounced around me, Tsu'tey's hand gently carded through my hair. His hand brushing along my scalp, turning his head lightly to kiss the top of my head. "Look love."

I turned my head, squinting against the brightness of the sun and saw the women of the tribe that I used to sit with and let them teach me things. They were looking at me with worry. I remember that worry...

"Oh dear, it look like you took quite a nasty fall." One of the woman said softly, making my jump where I was standing and dropping everything in my hand. I quickly crouched down, apologizing while picking up the vegetables. "Dear, it's okay."

The woman said as she placed a hand on my shaking hand, my eyes nervously looked up at her. She smiled calmly, placing some vegetables back into the bowl I was carrying. "Come, let's get those cleaned up; yea?"

I nodded, still nervous as I picked up the bowl. She led me through the tree, others looking at me curiously and younglings excitedly waving to me as I walked. "We'll teach you to make some salves to help make those go away fast, how about that?"