10 || Strippers And Tequila

Sally's laughter is infectious, and I can't stop myself from joining in. Usually, it takes no more than a couple of shots to have her in a jolly mood. This time is no different, I think, watching as she happily skips down the beach, feet sloshing the water around like a child, her bright yellow dress getting soaked in the process. 

Looks like everything's going according to the plan. 

By the plan, I mean H's advice to get her drunk in order to make her open up. Admittedly, I was not too fond of his choice at first, but after a couple more failed attempts to make Sally talk, I reluctantly agreed that trying his unconventional method may be the only choice left at this point. 

Maybe I'm being too pushy, nosy, and just plain aggressive in my attempts to uncover her secret. But, I have always given her space and never, not even once, stuck my nose in her private business. This time though, I can feel that she needs me—needs us, her best friends—and is just too scared to admit what the problem is. Which is exactly why I won't give up trying. 

The moment she arrived at my house tonight, I immediately pulled out a fresh bottle of tequila from my pantry, thus putting H's plan in action. She seemed unaware enough; always the first one to jump on an opportunity to have an impromptu party. The fact that Asa was still staying at my house during his short LA visit made it so much easier to make it seem like our only goal was to catch up for old time's sake. 

And this is how we ended up on the beach, in the middle of the night, currently reminiscing about our old summer flings. 

"He was…" Sally sighs dreamily, looping her arm through mine. "He was so damn good. I mean it. Like… the best." 

Yes, she's never been the most articulate while drunk. 

"What was so 'good' about him?" Asa asks, the only sober one left out of the three of us. 

We both giggle at his innocent question, Sally's face becoming even redder. "Uhm, he was huge. IfyouknowwhatImean." 

Asa shakes his head with a groan, muttering, "Why did I even ask…" 

Our loud laughter echoes around the nearly empty beach, attracting the attention of a couple cuddling on the beach nearby. They send curious looks our way, but thankfully, they're way too far to recognize me or Asa. Noticing their interest, Asa grabs both me and Sally by our hands, dragging us forward before they can take a closer look at our faces and tweet all about our drunken escapade. 

"Whenever I hear about a summer romance, it always takes me back to that old song," I muse out loud. "'The Boys of Summer'." 

Asa nods appreciatively, always having been the one to share my love for 80s music, but Sally just stares at both of us blankly. "What?" she asks. 

"Don Henley?" I prompt. "Drummer of the Eagles?" I add, though I have little hope that my hint would help. Sally's musical taste has always been different than mine—not necessarily bad, just far from what I listen to. 

"I can see you, your brown skin shining in the sun…" Asa starts to hum, and I soon join in, resulting in us singing the entire chorus together. 

"Oh, I think I heard a remix of this," Sally comments, taking a sip from the tequila in her hand. "Personally I like 'Summer Love' by Justin Timberlake." 

"I don't know that," I admit sheepishly. 

"Do not mention ex-boybanders around her," Asa smiles secretly. "She's completely clueless." 

"Wait, Justin Timberlake was in a boyband?" They both groan at my question. "What?! I don't know!" 

"He was in NSYNC," Asa laughs. "Even I know that."