Cherry's Letter #1

As you may probably guess, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately

As you may probably guess, I have been doing a lot of thinking lately. In fact, not a single day has gone by without my thoughts running to you. Ever since Japan-

Wait, that sounds way too much like one of your songs. I actually know their names now... How weird is that?

Now, before I get sidetracked like I usually tend to, let's rewind a little and start at the very beginning.

Can you believe that it's only been twelve months since that fateful night when you had heard me on the other side of your fence? I don't know about you, but I can hardly remember the person I had been before... Before you.

And to think that the first time we had spoken, you actually mistook me for a crazed fan. Me? A crazy fan? Now that's one bad joke. If anything, the roles should have been reversed... That is if you had the slightest idea who I was, which you didn't. I mean, how could you have? We were complete strangers; just two lost souls looking for some company.

It wasn't until our second meeting when you decided—against all common sense—to strike up a conversation. This was the turning point in our relationship; the moment everything had changed. I still remember how you sounded when you called me 'Cherry' for the first time. "Is that you?", you had asked right after, and foolishly, I chose to answer.

Ever wonder what could have been, had I never opened my stupid mouth that day? Because I do. Often.

But, enough about you. Let's talk about me. This is a story about me, after all, and you're merely a part of it, just like Sally, Asa, Georgie, Emil, Mitch, Sarah, Kendall, Anne, and—as much as it pains me to include them on this list—even my own bloody parents.

Nope, I will not be putting you on a pedestal, Harry Styles. Remember, not everything is about you.

I think we can both agree that our first meeting could not have come at a worse time, for us both. I was lost, struggling, and missing a high that you conveniently provided... in more ways than one. Like a withdrawing addict in a need of a hit, I latched on to you.

As for you... Well, you also craved something—something that you found in me. Though I didn't find out until much later what it was. You're an enigma of a man wrapped up in one delicious package; reading your mind is definitely not an easy task. It's something I've learned the hard way.

See, I'm getting sidetracked again!

Anyways, the point is: something important was missing from our lives, and maybe it's a foolish thing to believe, but I don't think it had been a coincidence that our paths crossed that day. That it was your fence, out of the countless others in my path, I had chosen. I don't believe in God, but it must have been some guardian angel watching over us... We seem to have quite a lot of those, don't we?

I think I've grown enough since then to recognize that there had been a magnetic attraction drawing us in to each other from the very start. You know I hate to admit it—definitely not out loud—but in my eyes, you have always been nothing short of perfect.

And it's more than just your million dollar smile, the dorky personality or those sinful hands that not once have failed to drive me insane. It's your wit. Your never-ending reserves of energy. Your ability to pick yourself up despite the obstacles thrown your way, something I've always struggled with myself. Finally, it is the positive attitude you infect everyone around you with.

You were so damn bright; way too bright for me to handle. Still, for a short moment, I felt like I could stop hiding from the world and let myself step into the light with you—just like you wrote in one of those songs that you had been working on before you left.

But, I was wrong. No one is truly perfect, isn't that right, Harry? Not even you...

At the time of writing this letter, I am once again all alone. I wish I could say it was me who had messed up again. That I was the one trying to keep my distance, just like I had before you found me crying over the spilled fruit on the street. Before you had grabbed my bags, rudely inviting yourself into my house, which kickstarted the chain of events that led us to where we are now.

But we both know that this time, the fault is not mine.

Wow, this letter got pretty depressing, and we have barely even scratched the surface. I guess we might need to split this into multiple parts... The juiciest bits may require a letter of their own.

In the meantime, I've just heard you're back in Malibu. Is it too soon to say that I'm feeling kind of hopeful again?

Until next time,

___________

Hi! Here's part one of this weekend's update. Part two (the actual chapter) is coming tomorrow.

What do you think these letters mean? Why is Cherry writing them? What clues about the future did you pick up?

(Yes, she is writing these letters in the future!)

And please, remember to support the story by voting