17 || ARA

A/N: Italics in the first part of this chapter are Cherry's thoughts/flashbacks of the night before. 

We walk down the stairs leading to the pier, my sundress flapping in the breeze creating a pleasant chill on my arms. The energy in the air feels optimistic, hopeful, and I'm glad to see that Sally has finally gotten that mischievous sparkle back in her eye again. I know that with the amount of drama she has been dealing with lately, it is exceptionally hard for her to find the strength to smile. 

"I still can't believe that I've been wanting to be invited to a thing like this forever, and I when I finally do, it's because some asshole got into my pants." 

You can literally feel the sarcasm dripping from every syllable, but at least it means she's slowly coming to terms with what happened to her. The dark humour means progress, especially compared to the buckets of tears she'd shed throughout the last week. I'm glad she's able to make light of the situation, as I'm not the best when it comes to comforting others. I'd much rather joke about it than try to convince her that everything will be okay. 

"Don't worry, she likes you. Wouldn't have offered to help if she didn't," I reassure her. 

"Yeah, weirdly enough, I don't even care what she thinks of me anymore," she admits, surprising me. "I mean, sure, who wouldn't love to be friends with Kendall Jenner? But… not when you're trying to get close to her for all the wrong reasons. I'm not a gold digger." 

"No one says you are, you little leech." My forehead drops to her shoulder as I give her a fleeting, yet bone-crushing hug.

Could Kendall be considered a friend of Sally's though, just because she helped her this one time? Is it friendship when two people aren't really that close, yet come through when one needs the other? Most importantly… Can you really be friends with someone you know barely anything about? 

"Truth is, you've been on my mind lately, and I really wanted to show you how much I appreciate you. It's what this flower stands for: friendship."

Sally throws her arm around my neck and intertwines our fingers at my shoulder, leading me forward to where one luxurious yacht stands out from the long line of boats docked in the pier. My eyes dart up and down the empty area as we both quietly consider how to board the yacht. 

"Are we supposed to call her so she lets us in?" Sal asks unsurely, but then her body jerks harshly in shock when a shrill voice screeches my first name. 

"Hiiiiiiii! Come on up, we're just about to have lunch!" 

Kendall is leaning over the board with her right arm waving enthusiastically in the air. 

"What the fuck, girl? Are you trying to give us a heart attack?" Sally groans loudly to the giggling girl above us. 

I stumble towards the boarding ladder she let down for us, climbing up in a fit of laughter. Halfway up, I turn around to check on Sal, who's still lingering at the foot of the yacht with an obvious look of nervousness painted across her face. 

Oh right. I forgot she's terrified of heights, ladders, and basically anything that requires having your feet off the ground for longer than five seconds. 

Sally squints and raises her hand up to her brow to shield her eyes from the sun. "Uh, is there any other way of getting up there?" she calls out. 

Last time she had tried to board a boat, during our trip to the Bahamas on my mum's yacht three years ago, I spent a good thirty minutes trying to coax her to move even an inch. Let's see if we can beat that record today. 

"It's just a few steps, you can do it!" I encourage her, trying not to let it show how amusing the entire situation is to me. 

"All it takes is two steps forward, and you would be at my front gate. I can meet you there."