forty two➵ worth dying for

please vote and comment!!

Evelyn

Everything seemed to move in slow motion as I fell from Jack's arms, his terrified eyes meeting my confused ones. I try to sort out what happened as I try not to focus on the gaping, growing hole in my chest.

Jack drops to his knees, a silent scream pouring from his lips. I fall to my back, my breathing suddenly all that I'm aware of. The seagulls flying overhead. The smoke slowly turning white, indicating the fight is over, the war is won. I think I feel Jack's arms around me, but my eyelids suddenly feel much heavier than before. Everything feels hazy and cloudy as I try to sort through my thoughts. Am I dying? Is that what this is? No, that's not how this was supposed to go. Jack and I were supposed to grow old together, forget about the trauma of the last few months. Beckett wasn't supposed to win. He won't.

I force my eyelids open, force myself to be okay. I'm not leaving Jack, not like this.

"Jack," I mumble, but I have no idea if I actually said these words or they were just in my head. It feels like I'm being carried and I latch my eyes onto Jack. He looks like an angel. The sky is so white, and he is so beautiful. He's made everything worth it. After everything, if this is how it is to end, it will all have been worth it. Because of him. I feel myself fading now, but it feels okay. It feels right.

I think I feel myself being submerged in water but I can't be too sure. Feeling my eyes shut for the final time, I feel a slight kiss being pressed to my lips and I think I smile but I'm sure anyone can see it.

"Stay with me, Evie," Jack's panicked voice seeps through the spongy layer that is my consciousness.

"I'm trying," I attempt to say but I have no idea if my mouth even moved.

If this is the end, I know it's okay, because I met Jack. I went to Port Royal on a whim and it led me to the best person I could ever meet in my life. He opened my eyes to so much, showed me what living and loving truly is.

And I would never forget it.

Jack

As Evie fell to the ground, all eyes were on her. I didn't know where to look, what to do first. My knees hit the deck before I can decide. I think my heart shatters into a thousand pieces as I hear a strangled cry leave her throat.

This wasn't supposed to happen. It wasn't supposed to go like this. We were so close. So close to a new life. I watch as the crimson blood continues to stain her white blouse as her usual tan complexion slowly pales. A terrified expression has marred her usual mask of confidence and brilliance.

She reaches out for me, calling my name. I'm usually her lifeboat, the one thing she can cling to, she can believe in, but I'm unable to move as everyone rushes around me, the world seemingly moving in slow motion. I think someone tries to get my attention, tries to get me to focus on something that isn't the blood pouring out of my life-source.

"She needs you! Jack! Jack!" Elizabeth shouts as I snap back to the present, sound rushing back in and the world moving at the correct speed.

"We need to get her to the water!" Barbossa speaks up out of nowhere, and everyone turns to him, confused, "Are ye' going to stand around or save our king's life?" He shouts and without thinking for another second longer, I'm wrapping her already cold body in my arms, rushing down to the lifeboats.

"Stay with me, Evie," I plead, feeling a tear roll down my cheek as I place her in the boat. Elizabeth and Barbossa join and I usually would protest his tagging along any other time, but if he knows how to save her, I'll do whatever he asks. I hold onto her small, beautiful hand as it grows colder and colder, my heart beating out my chest as I struggle to picture a world without her in it.

I decide it's impossible as we hit the surface of the water.

"We need to release her to the ocean. The only way she'll survive is by letting her return to her truest form," My eyes widen at this as I slowly realize what he's insinuating.

"Can't do that, mate. I'll lose 'er forever," I shake my head profusely, not knowing what else to do. I can't return her to the sea. The seas too....big. How could I release my entire world into the vast, open, endless ocean?

"You'll never see her again, regardless. At this way she gets a chance at livin'," Barbossa's grave words strike a chord in me as I realize this is it. These are my final moments with the love of my life. How can I go on without her? There's nothing for me in this life but her.

"Jack, you have to let her go," Elizabeth softly demands, her hand clutching Evelyn's other one. My panicked eyes look between the two of them as I face the greatest decision I've ever been encountered with.

Elizabeth places a gentle hand over mine as I meet her gaze. We've both lost our soulmates today. We've both been faced with horrid decisions to assure they live on in some facet. She knows my pain because she's just lived through it.

This is all happening much too fast for me to truly think it out. The horribly selfish thought of letting her pass and ending my life to be with her trundles through my mind but I shake it off before too long.

I could never take Evie's life. If there's even a chance for her to live on in some way, I have to take it. Nodding at Elizabeth, she lets go of her hand, Evelyn's legs falling into the water.

"You're sure this will work?" I turn to Barbossa now, pleading in my tone as tears well up uncontrollably. He nods somberly.

"The mermaid side of her will live on," He murmurs and with that I place one last longing kiss to her tender lips, releasing my hold on her. She slips under the water and I feel the need to grab hold of her before she sinks lower. The overwhelming need to protect her almost consumes me but I force myself to remain patient.

Minutes pass like hours as the tension builds, the anxiety increasing in my chest with every passing second that she doesn't come back up. Just as I am about to jump in after her and reclaim her body, there's slight movement in the water.

My heart nearly stops as an incredibly long, silvery, and mystical tail moves powerfully yet so gracefully just below the surface of the water.

"Evelyn," Her name slips from my mouth as her blonde head surfaces from about ten feet away. I can't keep myself from reaching for her as she slowly swims forward, sending ripples in her wake.

She hesitantly swims up to my outstretched hand, placing her cheek in the palm of my hand. I nearly shiver at the contact. She's so beautiful, so perfect, and - unfortunately - looks right at home.

"Evie?" When I speak, her icy blue eyes meet mine and I can't help but smile when her lips curl into one of her own. She surprises me by reaching out to me and pressing her lips to mine, sending a shiver down my spine at the contact.

"I love you," Her angelic voice whispers before she leans away from me, tears in her stunning eyes.

"I'll fix this. I'll spend my life searching for a way to make things right," I promise as her hand leaves mine, my heart breaking as she grows farther from me.

And, just like that, as easily and unexpectedly as she entered my life, she was gone. With one last incredible smile and a flip of the tail, the love of my life was gone.

As Barbossa took us back up, my eyes stayed fixed on the horizon. I meant every word I said. I will spend my life getting back to her. I'll fix this.

I have to.