thirty seven➵ the ultimate sacrifice

"To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die."

Thomas Campbell

please vote and comment and read the author's note at the end! xoxo

Evelyn

Before we leave his quarters, he hugs me tightly and I hold him just as tight back, realizing these will most likely - forever this time - be our last moments together.

"I would advise you not to go to Shipwreck Cove but I know you would never listen to me. Just know that Beckett knows of the meeting of the Brethren," His eyes go dark at this, "I fear there may be a traitor among them," I nod, squeezing his hand in thanks before I follow him out the door. He checks to make sure the coast is clear before we're rushing back into the brig, unlocking the door and ushering for my crew (feels weird saying that) to follow us out. They hesitate for a moment before I nod at them reassuringly and they quickly follow suit.

We all follow James quickly to the back of the ship where there is a line connected back to my ship. I quickly usher my crew onto the line and they immediately get on, shimmying their way silently across the line. I turn to James at this who still is not wearing his wig and is keeping watch.

"Come with us, James. Come with me," I urge, pulling on his arm but just as I say this, a lantern is coming around the side of the ship. My heart leaps into my mouth as one of the Dutchman's crew members works his way over to us.

"Who goes there?" He calls out and I feel my heart pumping faster as James looks between me and the crewmember quickly approaching.

"Go, I will follow," The look in his eyes tells me that he's being truthful, but I know what James would do for me in the end.

"You're lying," I protest but James just pushes me away from him slightly. My eyebrows furrow in confusion as I ignore his maneuver and step closer to him. James looks down at me, his face relaxing into a confident, decided expression before grabbing my arm and pulling me towards him.

"Our destinies have been entwined, Evelyn...but never joined," He surprises me by confessing before pulling me in impossibly close, his lips pressed against mine and I can't help but brings my hands to his face. There was a time when I truly cared for this man. But now I know that he was just the catalyst that began the rest of my life - a life that led me to my true fate: Jack. A single tear rolls down his face and I know that a stream is rushing down mine as he nods at me and I step back towards the line.

"I was meant to die for you that day. Fate decided to give me extra time to see you off...one last time. Now go! Now!" He shouts at me, his eyes connected to mine for the last time.

"Thank you," I whisper, attempting a smile and he just smiles back, his eyes now letting the tears fall freely down his cheeks. I hop onto the line and begin shimmying across it when I hear James and the crewmember arguing. Before I get a chance to say anything, James is shooting the line and I and my crew that's still on the line are falling into the water below us. My tail is encircling my legs but I don't focus on anything other than what I'm seeing aboard the Dutchman.

"James! James! No!" I scream but it's too late when I see that he's slumped over, having been dispatched by the crewmember who found us. I feel my heart caving in and hear Davy Jones say something to James before James makes one final move - stabbing Jones. Of course, that did nothing, but at least he tried. Jones just chuckles as he pulls the sword out from his chest and saunters off, leaving James alone.

"No!" I scream again before grabbing my clothes, sword, and knife and swimming over to the boat that is going to haul my crew back up onto our ship. As soon as we get aboard, I fall numbly to the deck, my knees hitting the ground hard, but I barely feel it. I think I hear my crewmembers calling my name, trying to get orders from me, but I just wave them off, unable to say anything.