twenty six➵ finding a way

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."

- Niccolò Machiavelli

Evelyn's POV

    I find myself swimming for who knows how long, but it feels like days straight, as I make my way towards the island that holds one of the only things I care for in the world.

    From far away, I can see Will jumping from the Dutchman as they near the island, him wanting to find his own way to Jack...and Elizabeth. Oh, how, I miss her as well. Instead of following Will onto the island to find the chest, I'm going to tie up some loose ends with an old foe.

----

    The Dutchman is wading off shore a couple hundred feet from the island and when I see Davy Jones come on deck, is when I make my move. Quickly surfacing from the water, I begin to climb the front of the ship, making sure to cover myself with Will's shirt, first. Here goes nothing, I breathe deeply as I jump onto the ship, revealing myself to his crew.

    "Where's Jones?" At this, all eyes turn to me, and some of them chuckle in response, some unsheathe their weapons, and some just ogle at me. Great...

    "Well, well, well...Jack's lover," That slimy voice chuckles and he then appears from behind some of his men, sending a shiver up my spine. I've had enough with men only knowing me for my affiliation with Jack.

    "What's the purpose of your coming here? To try and off me? Or possibly to try and distract me from dear Sparrow over there?" His body stiffens and his...face...grows into a scowl at the mention Jack and I smirk slightly, proud that he has such an effect on him.

    "Neither, actually. I'm here to settle a debt," I smirk and Jones just stares back at me in amusement, probably not buying my story in the slightest.

    "I see. You've come to the be the dutiful woman to your man and sacrifice yourself for him...seen it all before, haven't we gents?" Jones laughs evilly as does the rest of his crew, and I ignore the pit of anxiety in my stomach at this. It's for Jack, it's for Jack, I have to continually remind myself. He's the one that needs to live, not you.

    "That's right. After all, I'm not a fighter, I can't do much of anything except take care of house and husband - well, I suppose it'd be ship and husband," I giggle and try to sound as weak and vulnerable as I can manage, "So, you see, I don't have much going for me. I might as well risk whatever life I can give for him." I smile, batting my eyelashes at a few men surrounding me. I can tell some of them have not been able to take their eyes off me, probably having not seen a woman in years, maybe even decades.

    "Don't kill her!" A measly voice shouts from somewhere in the crew. "Maybe just....keep her here!" He suggests and the rest of the crew nods in agreement, their eyes trailing down my soaking body. My point exactly.

    "No," Jones stalks up to me slowly, stopping right in front of me, "No, killing her wouldn't do any good. I'd never kill something so fine," He smirks at me and at this, grabs my arm, tugging me down so I'm standing level with the rest of his crew. My heart begins beating wildly as this doesn't seem to be going the way I wanted it to.

    "So, that's it then. You don't need 99 other souls. You have me. That's good enough, right?" I ask, my eyes pleading as they stare back into Jones' cold, lifeless ones. He ponders this for a moment, pacing around the deck, before coming back in front of me.

    "That could work. Or..." Oh god. What have I done? "I could use you...to get Jack." He smirks and at this, I roll my eyes, not wanting to be used as another bargaining chip.