Managing Boys (9)

“Aria!” a voice called out from behind me, and I couldn’t help but roll my eyes. I had to bite the inside of my lip to stop myself from groaning. “Aria, I’m glad I caught you!”

I turned around, forcing a smile as Mae made her way up to me. We were all alone in the school hallway, since I had to stay after school to retake a test. I was now regretting trying to fix my grade because I was now stuck with her, all alone.

“Well, I know you don’t want to join the debate team,” she started, and I had to fight the urge to roll my eyes. What was she trying to do now? “But you really should join a club! How about the drama club? Now that Mona transferred to Corvus, she isn’t here to be the lead anymore! Which means there’s a chance that you could get it!”

I didn’t know who this Mona girl was, but I knew that wasn’t important. I just didn’t understand why Mae wanted me to join things so much. I knew she was in both the debate team and the drama club. Why did I have to join?

“Sorry, Mae,” I apologized, even though I wasn’t sorry. “Acting just isn’t my forte.”

Mae nodded, but I could tell that she was disappointed that I didn’t agree to join. “Oh, it’s okay,” she assured, and she kept quiet for only about four seconds. “But you like singing, right? You were really good in the talent show in seventh grade! Maybe you could join choir!”

I bit down on my tongue to stop myself from making a face. Seventh grade was four years before, and I had only done the talent show because I had been dared. I hadn’t sung since.

I shook my head. “That’s not something I’m interested in either.”

Mae looked almost desperate now, and I kind of felt bad for her. She really wanted me to join some kind of club or team with her, didn’t she?

“So…” Mae started after a few moments of awkward silence. “How’s Hello Aria?”

How did I know that the conversation would turn to them? Because it always did, no matter who I was talking to.  Everyone always wanted to know how the boys of Hello Aria were. They were never really interested in me.

Was this the only reason why she kept trying to talk to me? Just to get information on Hello Aria? I wouldn't have really been surprised.

“They’re fine,” I answered simply, since that was really all I could say.

Mae nodded now. “That’s good, that’s good…”

I wanted to leave, but I could tell that there was something she wanted to say. So I waited, but we both just stood there without saying a thing to each other. It was growing more and more awkward until I finally decided it was time to leave.

“I’ll see you later.” I waved, turning on my heel and starting down the hall as quickly as I could without making it look like I was trying to get away from her.

I just didn’t understand Mae. She was one of the most popular girls in school, and barely no one knew who I was before I started babysitting Hello Aria. People only started talking to me when I became associated with them, except for Mae. She had been trying to get my attention ever since seventh grade.

The first thing I saw when I stepped outside the front doors of my school, an hour after the last bell rang, was the familiar limo I had come to know.

But instead of getting in it like I knew I was supposed to, I just walked right by it without a second glance.

I heard the doors to the limo open and close, the boys' footsteps following right after me down the sidewalk.

“Um, hello!” Grim called out from behind me, sounding frustrated as I kept on walking. “Earth to Aria!”