Managing Boys (5)

When my phone rang, I was sure I didn’t want to pick it up. It was most likely Sophie, who was only calling to bug me about what was going on backstage at the concert. I told her not to call, but I knew that that wasn’t going to stop her.

But when I looked down at my phone, I was surprised to see that it wasn’t Sophie, but Zoey instead. I answered.

“Hello?” I greeted rather unhappily.

“Are you enjoying the concert?” was the first thing she asked me, and I couldn’t help but notice that she sounded very smug. She knew the last thing I was doing was enjoying it. “I could tell by your enthusiastic hello that you’re having an absolute wonderful time.”

I grumbled an incoherent response. As my best friend, Zoey knew exactly how I felt. She might have been a huge fan of Hello Aria, but she knew that I wasn’t. I wished that she was there with me. I was going to have to take her to the next concert I was going to be forced to go to, even if I had to beg.

“I just don’t get why I even took this job,” I informed my best friend honestly now. “I mean, I know I took the job because of how much money I was being offered, and I love having all this extra money, but the job’s just so hard because these boys are ridiculously spoiled and immature.”

I looked around to make sure no one was listening to me. The four boys of Hello Aria were getting ready to go on stage as Shameless Thinking began their final song, and none of the crew showed any attention to a random girl with a backstage pass around her neck.

Zoey stayed silent for a few moments, as if she was trying to think of something to say. “Well…” she finally began after what felt like forever. “I think it’ll get easier once time goes on. It hasn’t even been two weeks yet, Aria. Who knows when they’re going to have to pack up and go on a tour? Who knows, you five might actually become really good friends before it’s your time to split with them.”

I glared at the four boys in the distance. “I highly doubt that.”

“Well, I guess I’ll let you go back to the concert,” Zoey sighed, and I wanted to beg her not to hang up on me. “At least try to have some fun, okay? Concerts are supposed to be something to enjoy. I don’t want you bringing anyone down with your pessimistic attitude!”

I rolled my eyes at her as I let out a fake, dull laugh. “Uh-huh, sure. I’ll talk to you later.”

She laughed at my unhappy attitiude. “Bye!”

She then hung up, and my mood only dropped more. I wanted someone there with me, but instead I was stuck with four immature boys and three people I had just met. And just like always, I knew that this wasn’t going to go well. Few things did when I was with Hello Aria.

“Who were you talking to?” Sawyer asked me once I made my way back over to where they were waiting. Sawyer actually wasn't that bad when he was by himself, but when he was with the other three, he was just as bad.

“My friend, Zoey,” I shrugged. “She came to the last concert with me.”

He nodded, but I wasn’t so sure if he remembered her or not. He met a lot of fans all the time, so I was surprised he even remembered my name or what I looked like. Well, then again, I guess my name wasn’t the hardest thing to remember, since it was in the name of their band.

“That damn band is even worse than last time.”

I turned toward Ash, confused by what he had said. I thought that Shameless Thinking was doing great, and their music was great as well. But I could tell their music was not what Ash had a problem with.