prolouge

Baby didn't know what to expect coming out of the heist, but it definitely wasn't what happened. I mean, robbing the Royal Mint of Spain? There are bound to be complexities.

R U L E 1: NO PERSONAL RELATIONS
That was broken from the start, being friends with both Sergio and Andrés, the Professor and Berlin, for years now.

Not to mention that she had grown close to all of the thieves in the group during their 5 months together studying the heist. Not establishing personal relations was a failed attempt from the start and the Professor knew it too.

The heist didn't go completely as planned. There were complications along the way with team members, hostages, the police. But they eventually got out with the printed money. Unfortunately, not all of them did. A third of the team died inside the museum before they could escape. A part of Baby died along with them.

Never did she expect to lose Berlin. She was aware of his illness, but figured, if anything, she would die before his time was up. But that didn't happen. Instead he sacrificed himself for the safety and escape of his team. He sacrificed himself for her. His intentions were kind and selfless, something people often didn't see him as.

But what he left behind was pain and suffering. Sergio, the Professor, the man who ran all the possible calculations of the heist, now brother-less. Broken without him, hoping that his heart can be pieced back together. Martín, soon to be known as Palermo, the reckless spontaneity, now empty inside. He lost the love of his life and didn't know how to cope. So instead, he drowned himself in alcohol, drugs, and tears.

And Baby, the thief and cold blooded killer, the one who loved Berlin more than she loved herself, the one who has been there for him for years on end and vise versa, the one who had to watch as police unloaded their bullets into his chest, now numb. Months passed her by, but she didn't care. Distracting herself with girls and sex and parties, Baby attempted to escape reality.

She knew she was fucked the second she saw the first bullet fire into his chest. She knew in that second that she would lose him. She knew that from that moment, there was no getting her back. Berlin was her rock. The one who would beat up anyone who even looked at her wrong. The one who brought her back before, who saved her from spiraling from her years of abuse.

And now, without him, she's a shadow of who she once was. No more Fearless Baby, who trusted her whit and skill to get out of any situation unscathed. No more Confident Baby, who had no problem putting someone in their place and showing them who's boss. No more Vulnerable Baby, who let her walls come down for her family and let them in.

Now, she's a ghost, void of any true emotions. She paints her face and puts on her mask, but not once does she ever let it slip and let someone see. She can't allow herself to feel again. She won't. Cause she knows that the second she does, she'll crumble and they'll be no chance at building her back up again.

a / n
so i'm back. i just finished rewatching the series and decided to go back to this book and actually write it. i love the first heist, but in terms of writing a fanfic and adding my oc into the story, i was severely uninspired. so i decided to write for parts 3 and 4 during the second heist. i have a lot more ideas and know how to execute them for this heist. and i think that the flashbacks will more accurately show Berlin and Baby's relationship better than it would have in the first heist. so hope you stick around and enjoy and comment who you want to see Baby with. <3