The Beginning (Natalie)

Draco had been different lately. I'd heard rumors of what was going on, but he wouldn't tell me the truth. Every time I tried to bring it up, he deflected my questions skillfully, pretending like they'd never been asked. Just a few months before, he told me everything about himself, the good and the bad. Then, radio silence erupted from his side of the relationship. The change happened in early August, when he stopped sending letters entirely. He had been growing increasingly stressed over the past few months, but whatever happened that week was the game changer. He completely closed off from others, especially me. It was as if I was dating a brick wall.

Many of our mutual friends and enemies had theories, but no one really knew. Harry had even convinced himself that Draco was a death eater, but I didn't believe it. I told myself that the Draco I knew and loved would never go that far. But, as much as I hated to admit it, there was a part of me that questioned it. Hermione claimed she saw the flash of a Dark Mark when his sleeve fell in class one day. I was inclined to believe her for many reasons. She was one of my great friends, but she was also not one to stir drama. If you needed to know the truth, you went to her, because she would give it to you no matter how harsh. On top of that speculation, I hadn't seen Draco in anything but long sleeved suits and shirts in months, even during the tormentingly hot days of September, when summer pushed out a few more days of suffocating heat before it finally died out, giving way to the freezing winter.

I intended on seriously questioning him the day we arrived at Hogwarts, but that endeavor went nowhere as he avoided again.

Now I sit in a small cell, writing how all of this began, and why I am where I am right now, struggling to get this all down before the time runs out. But the end of my story will not happen yet. Not until I finish telling it.