The Kiss

When one falls in love, certain chemicals known as norepinephrine, dopamine and endogenous opioids are released. With the cause of this, their hearts will beat faster at the sight of their loved one. The influence of all sorts of behaviour derives from love.

To put simply, love changes one's personality drastically. The outlook of their surroundings glistens. Their perception of the world illuminates. And above all, happiness is engraved to their hearts.

However, I feel nothing as of yet.

It is Saturday morning, around 6 AM, when I hear the recurring noise of a doorbell vibrating my eardrums excruciatingly.

If it was not obvious already, I had woken up to this noise.

I walk up to the door to cease the endless sequence of annoyance.

"Yes?" I say, opening the door whilst half awake. My eyes were still adjusting to the daylight.

The perpetrator stands with her hand on her hip, and the other covering the sunlight from beaming into her eyes.

"We're going on a date, Kiyotaka."

"..."

"..."

"Right now?"

"Yes, right now."

"..."

"..."

"I need to take a shower first."

1 hour later

With our hands embracing each other's warmth, we walk upwards from the dormitory towards the mall. It has been 4 days since Suzune first confessed to me, yet she accustomed to this relationship quite well. Holding hands were no longer a challenge, and talking to each other no longer felt forced or awkward.

I'm sure Suzune honed her behaviour to suit my tastes, which, I am beyond thankful for.

"Did you change your hairstyle, Suzune?" I ask, out of curiosity.

"Wha- not at all. W-Why do you think so? Is something wrong with my hair?"

Oh, she has not changed her hairstyle at all, huh. That's impressive.

"No, there's nothing wrong. It's just, you look cuter than usual."

"...Huh?" she stood still, as if an arrow pierced through her heart, "Y-You really think you're cool, don't you Kiyotaka? B-But I won't fall for such bait!"

"What are you talking about? If anyone, it should be you who knows that I never lie."

She looks at me with an unconvinced face, "You truly believe so? That I look cute?"

"Of course I do. Though, I must say... I have seen better around this school."

"H-Hey!"

"It was a joke."

"I thought you never lie... you liar."

The smile she displays reminds me of a face of an angel. Perhaps being by her side is a blessing alone.

We resume our walk after the brief conversation.

I may be drenching in lies and living under false identity, but I certainly did not lie nor jest when I say she looks cute. After all, everything I say is objectively said.